Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella fracture (wire issues)  (Read 5377 times)

Offline vines4444

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Patella fracture (wire issues)
« on: November 26, 2002, 12:01:50 PM »
Can anyone advise about the possibility of wiring sticking out of the knee or whether this is a piece of bone.
Only visible early morning cos the knee is too fat by midday to notice anything.
Also I have a real problem with severe pain just above my knee towards my thigh which feels like a problem with tendons.
When bending the knee it feels as if everything towards my thigh is tearing apart.
Has anyone had a problem with adhesions which is what my G.P is suggesting may be the problem.
I am not having physio any more and feel deserted by everyone.
All replies grateful !
Nicky
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 02:46:03 PM by admin »

Offline dwalsh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Fractured Patella ( possible wires protruding
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 08:06:50 PM »
I've had some wire problems and i would guess that is what you are seeing not bone. I freaked out thinking i had broken the bone again and made a quick appointment with the OS. he took an x-ray and said it was the wire, not to worry about it. Each week as the swelling goes down i see more bumps of wire. I'm of the mindset that i want it all out as soon as possible (i'm only 9 weeks post-op)

About your pain I'm curious to hear what everyone else says. I have lots of pain below my knee when bending, also lots of pain in the kneecap when doing leg lifts. No one seems to have a real answer for it.

let me know if you find anything more out about the pain and what your doctor says about the wire..good luck!
doreen
9/22/02 tripped ice skating, shattered patella, surgical repair with wire. Hardware removed 3/26/03 with manipulation and debridement.

Offline Rhonda

• Regular Poster
  • Knee vs Tree - Tree wins.  
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 09:27:19 PM »
I actually have a little bump on top of my patella.  I used to think it was wires, but once the swelling went down , it was a just a piece of bone that stuck out a bit when it fused.    Basically, when the surgeon put if back together, the concern was that the underside of the patella (and underlying cartilige) were as smooth as possible.  In my case, there were so many pieces it wasn't going to be perfect, but I'm glad they concentrated on the back side, which he got pretty smooth, I'm told.   Any imperfections on top were asthecially undesirable at worst.  (BIG deal, no one notices a minute little bump when you have a nine inch scar, now do they?)  
Of course, it's a LONG slow recovery, but  I havent' really had any major problems, beyond what you expect after an injury like that.  I'm the only one that notices my bump- more felt than seen.  I dont' see or feel most of the wire, except for the knot of wire that sits below my kneecap (I used to think it was a screwhead, but OS told me it was the knot).  Sometimes it catches when I bend my knee really far back.  And sometimes, I'll feel a little pain in that spot when doing certain exercises.  I'm undecided about hardware removal in my case.  It's only slightly bothersome.  But if it was bothering me a lot (as it does for some people, some claim wire  threathen to poke out thru the skin when their ROM gets better) , I'd get it out as soon as the Doc cleared me.  It's not a bad surgery, from what I hear...  Some people who had ROM problems after patella fracture said it got much better once the metal was out..

I've never had adhesion problems, but there is a  girl on this website (Heather M) that has them and is very informed about them. Try posting in the "Soft tissue healing problems" section and put the word "Adhesions" in the title of your post. .  SHe's on this board all the time (alhtough she may not look at the bone break section), and knows her stuff, so maybe she (and others) can help with that aspect of it.
But keep posting here, too!  

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2002, 09:59:22 PM by Rhonda »
Shattered patella 4/6/2002.  
Fixed w/ open surgery 4/8/2002, using Two Screws, and Figure of Eight Tension Band Wiring.  Hardware removed 5/28/2003.

Offline vines4444

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 10:40:00 AM »
Well what a result I was right for a change !!
Went to see my OS yesterday and I was right, the pins have come loose and are sticking out of my knee cap.
I am now on the emergency trauma list for an operation, should be within the next couple of weeks.
They are taking the whole lot out hook line and sinker.
He said things should start to improve from there on.
Heres looking forward to no pain !!
Nic

Offline Rhonda

• Regular Poster
  • Knee vs Tree - Tree wins.  
Re: Patella fracture ( wiring results )
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 03:29:15 PM »
Does this mean you are done with the wires altogether?  (I mean, they're not putting in new ones, right)

That's great news.. Especially if it means the adhesions thing was a red herring (they dont' sound like fun)...  Once you recover from this, the ROM should be a piece of cake!

Good Luck!
Shattered patella 4/6/2002.  
Fixed w/ open surgery 4/8/2002, using Two Screws, and Figure of Eight Tension Band Wiring.  Hardware removed 5/28/2003.