Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LUMBAR SYMPATHETIC BLOCK/RSD  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
LUMBAR SYMPATHETIC BLOCK/RSD
« on: November 26, 2002, 09:29:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

OK so the guanethidine block through my foot was a no go, couldn't find a vain in my foot.  I'm scheduled for a lumbar sympathetic block in early december and was wondering what experience any of you had of this.  If any of you have had this treatment did it work?  Did it take all the pain of or just some of it?  How long did it last?  

Thanks for any info...

Jo  :)
Jo-UK

TTT right knee October 01  RSD diagnosed October 02, Arthroscopy left knee Oct 04

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: LUMBAR SYMPATHETIC BLOCK/RSD
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 02:18:07 AM »
How well and how long the block works depend on the person (EVERY single on of us is different) for me personally my facet joint blocks
(Not to scare anyone but the MOST painful thing I have ever had in my life being injected with a HUGE needle vetween the vertebrae in my neck while lying face down on an xray table to minimise the chances of them putting it in the wrong place and paralysing me  :o :o :o, so the sort of put the needle against my skin and the took xrays to make sure as the put this HUGE thing in it was in the right spot. Facet joints and the neck are are one of the MOST painful site I was told later, and to make it worse, I found out later that I don't get the proper anasthetic effect from local anasthetic, this is part of HMS/EDS, so NO WONDER it hurt like $*%#^#@*)
For me these types of blocks don't work very well Agian I think it is the local anasthetic thing as these blocks are usually mixed with a local too to help.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 10:17:13 PM »
Thanks for that shazinoz, don't like the sound of the blocks you have!! (I hate little needles never mind huge ones)  I realise everyone is different but was just curious as to other peoples experiences and results of these blocks..and what effect it had on their RSD, I'm still really confused about RSD I kind of know what it is but I'm not really sure about the treatment aspect and what to expect from various treatments.  I've heard that RSD can be brought pretty well under control but then I've also heard that if it isn't caught early its very difficult to control?? How early is early???   Although I was diagnosed in October, I haven't had any treatment for it yet other than various pills that haven't worked so its 13 months since all this started and my first block isn't until December, is that too late??
« Last Edit: November 27, 2002, 10:18:01 PM by Jo »
Jo-UK

TTT right knee October 01  RSD diagnosed October 02, Arthroscopy left knee Oct 04

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 02:26:05 AM »
No Jo that isn't to late.
RSD can be pretty scarey and so can the treaments if you even need more ifo when a doc tells you he is going to try this ... or try that... then aask him/her to explain EVERYHTING like (what results he expects?, what benifits he expects? How long should it last?, is the procedure painful?, what if it doesn't work? what next?, what exactly is the procedure and what exactly is used?, where exacly will the procedure take place? (ie the block is it between the L 7-8 vertabrea etc). any ANYTHING else you can think of.
And if you think of further questions then ring and ask him or ask us as we also may know.
It is hard having RSD and even harder when doc's don't know what it is. I emailed an OS yesterday with a breif histroy including that I have RSD/CRPS and I got an email back saying what is RSD/CRPS?? You would think that most doc's would at least know the NAME AHHHHHH
it kind of turned me off seeing this guy if he didn't even know what RSD is I don't want him operating on me if necessary so I think I will go with the other guy I emailed who had at least heard of it :).
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 10:08:48 PM »
Hi Shazinoz,

I hear what you're saying about asking the docs but it's such a lot to take in that sometimes I forget some of what they have told me and thats where you all come in...thanks and I'll let you know how I get on with the block a week on Monday!!!  :o
Jo-UK

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 09:36:20 PM »
Hi again,

OK so, I've had the lumbar block today and am just looking for a little bit of feed back if poss.  Is it supposed to kick in straight away or does it take a while, I did ask doc this but I'd forgotten by the time I woke up.

So far it has taken the pain off on the right hand side of my leg both at the side and just below my knee and also on the right side above my knee, but it hasn't taken the knee pain itself away??  Oh and my leg is WARM its actually WARM I can't get over it and most of the burning pain has gone too except for in my knee.  Am a little confused now so would appreciate any feedback.  :)
Jo-UK

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 05:10:17 PM »
hi jo:

i was told i had rsd years ago, in my left leg, i was also told no cure.  i had intermittant symptoms, but then got into car accident and broke l. foot, l. ankle, ruptured disc l5-s1, and broke tailbone.  i had rsd symptoms immediately.  i had 3 spinal blocks, and that was 7 years ago and have never had one rsd symptom to date.  i also truly believe in mind over matter and i swore i would not have this dibilitating disease.  i dont know if i wished so hard that it worked but i dont have any symptoms, or maybe i was very misdiagnosed 10 years ago.  

i wish you the best of luck, and thought maybe my post would give you some hope.
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 08:37:44 PM »
Hi Muskypike,

Thanks for your post, I think maybe you might have been misdiagnosed all those years ago, I hear often that RSD is misdiagnosed as something else and that "something else" is actually RSD...I'm a great believer in mind over matter but I think after 14 months of wishing and hoping and saying I will not be beaten, if it was gonna go away I think it would've by now.  I also believe that if you have pain then there has to be a reason for it.  Thanks again, I do have quite a few bad days where I feel that all hope is gone but mostly I'm one of those "never give up" type of people and just bat on as best I can.  Thanks again & take care.
Jo-UK

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 08:56:39 PM »
hi jo

i think you are right about being misdiagnosed, although the doc i saw was the chicago bears football team ortho, so he wasn't just an os out of the phone book.  

just dont loose hope, because when all else is gone that is all that we have is hope.  I know that it is tuff, but hang in there, and i hope you get the relief you deserve.  

best of luck to you.

GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

support