Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hot or cold therapy for PFS pain?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline sheilab20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
hot or cold therapy for PFS pain?
« on: November 26, 2002, 05:42:08 PM »
For all you PFS people out there  ;), I have a question for you!
My PT started me with ice on my knees and I've been doing it ever since and it works great, but it also tenses up my knees.
So what about something hot like a hot water bottle? It  would probably make the muscles relax, but is this a good idea? will it make it feel better or should I stick to ice? help!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 01:57:28 AM by PFS_Mod »
PFS since I was 14, by a growing spurt, no surgery, just PT, and I can't complain so far :)

Offline RobinM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: hot or cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 02:07:59 AM »
Hi, I haven't had surgery yet but I go for PT and what I was told was to alternate between hot and cold.
I do 20 minutes cold  then 20 hot then one more round of cold.

Good Luck

I ride horses and rope steers and this keeps me out of surgery( so far) and in the saddle, and I am 50.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 04:36:37 AM »
yeah ,I was told by someone at a pain clinic that for chronic pain like mine, I should use hot and cold alternated. Robin was right, but they suggested shorter intervals like 10 minutes, hot and then 10 minutes cold.  this might help. The only time that you shouldn't use heat, is if there is swelling present.
HOPE that helps, with my chondromalcia the way it is, heat always feels better to me. I wear a neoprene PTO instead of an air mesh one just to have that extra heat on the joint.
Hope that was of some help
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 06:29:00 AM »
My PT sometimes uses heat on me before I do any of my exercises on days when I am especially sore. I find that it really helps to relax my muscles and makes doing my PT exercises easier and a little less painful. Just be sure that you don't use heat on your knee if it's swollen!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 03:41:02 PM »
Once I was past the acute phase following injury and surgery when swelling was not such a main concern, I was told to use either heat or ice, which ever felt better. I find that they both help, depending on my situation.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Kathy

• Forum Faithful
  • With God, all things are possible.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2002, 05:19:13 PM »
Another thing I would do to make sure it's ok is to ask your OS or PT if you have any inflamation - heat will make inflamation worse according my PT.
Kathy
Many dislocations for seven years.
3 stage patella realignment (Fulkerson TTT + LR + Medial Reefing) 10/18/02

Offline sheilab20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2002, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info!! You're all terrific! I don't have that much swelling anymore, and inflamation is low right now. Today my knees are killing me.. because I was clumsy yesterday and banged my knee cap on a coffee table! ouch :o So I'll try the suggestions today! thanks!
Sheila
PFS since I was 14, by a growing spurt, no surgery, just PT, and I can't complain so far :)