Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A reason at last - Bad News  (Read 2210 times)

Offline tensing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Oh to live without pain again
A reason at last - Bad News
« on: December 19, 2004, 12:31:38 AM »
Well I have known that I had Hypermobility Syndrome for almost two years now, and I have a beighton score of 8, the only test that I could never do was the touching the floor thing, can't even touch it with finger tips.

Any way found out why at last, as well as HMS I also have AS (ankylosing spondylitis) which is causing my spine to fuse, great news, not.

Scoliosis is another problem, which I know about; I have always had a slight curve of the spine. Though due to the AS I seem to be losing the normal forward curve as the base of my back is flattening out.

I have seen the GP (Locum) only and her advice was basically go swimming, get a firm bed, use a lumber support when driving (I can't drive), she referred me to a physio, and take over the counter painkillers (paracetamol and ibroprofen), a bit of a laugh since I have been prescribed Voltrol and tremadol since I was about 16. She basically just advised me to live with it. Luckily I had an appointment with my rheumatoligist the following week.

Okay I say the rheumy last week, he is doing more blood tests and x-rays, but he is fairly sure that it is AS. Though he did say I was rather strange to have both. I have another appointment with him for two months time

How can I be this unlucky, one thing is bad enough but two. The only real plus point is that my hips have stopped popping out now due to the AS.

Thanks for listening.
Caroline

support