Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lost faith.  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Jak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lost faith.
« on: November 25, 2002, 08:06:34 PM »
I have tibial rotation and for thirty odd years it caused me no problems whatsoever.  I didn't even realise the legs were rotated.  I had bi-lateral arthoroscopy at the same time which was no great problem.  The left leg is fine but the right - I hate it.  Physio is just so painful - I hate that as well now.  Big girls don't cry but I'm completely demoralised at the moment.  My surgeon talked about a tibial derotation before this arthoroscopy but I dismissed it as too much of a big op for a painful knee - but now I am seriously considering it.  I don't know if I am brave enough or have the patience to go through with it but I have got to do something because I can't stand this pain in the right knee.  Is six months too soon to give up?  How much longer should I perservere and suffer in physio?  What is the success rate for derotational osteotomies?  Is a straight leg a pain free leg?  My right leg is as weak as water and although is making slow progress I think the straight leg raise is going to defeat me forever.  I don't know why I'm writing this because the only person who really knows whether to go for it is me.  Is there anyone in or been in a similar position?  Jak
June 2002 medial plica and supra-patela plica removal, chondroplasty on both knees and lateral release on right knee.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Lost faith.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 04:47:58 AM »
Hey Jak, I haven't been in the same position as you. But I just wanted to say, that surgery really can never make you better. It can improve quality of life, but cant' fix everything. I think that is an important part of the decision to have surgery, wether it will improve your quality of life. It's something you really should discuss with your surgeon. I wish I could offer you more, but I can't. Take care and good luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 04:54:39 PM »
I have the rotation thing in the bottom half of my left knee too and 3 surgeries to fix it have been useless. They tell me that because the ACL hasnt been fitted tightly enough its letting the bottom half rotate. Maybe your rotation is from a slack ACL as well. It might be worth asking about. Ive had surgery on my medial and Lateral to stop the rotation but it just hasnt worked.
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Jak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 07:38:49 PM »
Thank you Linds and Netty for the reply.  I actually feel better about the situation today than I did.  Quality of life is a crucial part of the decision making but I need my knee to do my job that I love and so on that premise I will discuss the options.  I don't know whether something simplier like a TTT might just do the job.  I think you know really when something else needs to be tried, you just have to go through the tantrum and teddies out of the cot stage first.  I was hoping for a quick fix and got that for 50% so I should be grateful.  Thanks again for listening.  Jak
June 2002 medial plica and supra-patela plica removal, chondroplasty on both knees and lateral release on right knee.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 10:11:09 PM »
not really sure that a TTT is any easier than your proposed surgery. But talk to your surgeon and PT . They are your best source of information. Take care and let us know how it all goes. Take care
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?