Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Exercises for going down stairs ???>>&g  (Read 5257 times)

Offline JDELUNA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee Exercises for going down stairs ???>>&g
« on: December 11, 2004, 12:22:52 AM »
Back in June 2004 of this year I had a 95% torn quadricep muscle on my left knee. It was reattached in August 2004. Then in October I injured my right knee by pulling tendon or ligament, but luckily did not need surgery for it according to the MRI that was done. So basically I had 2 injured legs. Basically my question is that I have stairs at home and at work, from June to about Mid November I have not walked down the stairs in a normal fashion. It has always been doing the PEGLEG style if you know what I mean with the good leg doing all the work with either leg depending on which one was injured and when. Basically I was told that the Muscles in quad area and around my knee have atrophied and that I need to restrengthen and build them up again. Since the begining of November I have been slowly working both legs doing leg presses, riding the bike, EFX machine, walking, etc. At first I could not really walk, now I can walk pretty good. Then I could not walk up the stairs as my legs were to weak, I can now walk up the stairs normally.  Now going down the stairs is my next challenge. About 4 weeks ago I could not even do it, now by holding on to the side rails, I am able to go down slowly, but the muscles are still kind of weak. I could not believe how much muscle and strength I have lost in just a 6 month time frame. I used to be able to do full squats with 315 pounds for reps of 10, now I get a workout just squating with my body weight. I used to be able to do almost the whole stack approx. 120 pounds in the leg extension, now I can only do 10-20 pounds. Is there any other exercises that I can do to help me in getting my next goal of walking down stairs normally ?? Thanks for listening and any info and help you can give me. God Bless.  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 12:23:51 AM by JDELUNA »

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Knee Exercises for going down stairs ???>&g
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 04:08:36 PM »
I have the hardest time going down stairs, it feels like my leg is made out of jello, and Im scared to death Im going to fall.  For this problem, my PT suggested doing balancing exercises.  I stand on the bad leg, bend it slightly, and balance three times for 20 seconds, with my eyes closed.  I really gets all the muscles working, and it has helped.

Good luck, ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 12:01:20 AM »
You poor thing....I know exactly what you mean!! I ruptured my quad tendon about five and a half years ago, and am only now beginning to be able to go down stairs foot over foot. But I have had a lot of complications and four surgeries, which caused extreme quad atrophy and many biomechanical issues in my knee.

It takes a long time to gain muscle. All you can do is go slowly take your time. My last surgery was 18 months ago and I am still working on strength.

Do you have pain, or only weakness? Do you have any other problems in your knee that you need to be careful of?

For leg strength, these are the only exercises I am allowed to do:  bike, leg press, Smith machine (with my feet in front of the body, like a wall slide), elliptical. NO leg extensions, these are extremely hard on the knees. Then I can also do non-machine exercises, especially one-legged things like mini-squats, balancing and reaching down, some lunging, etc.

But the thing that has helped the most is definietly the leg press. I do three sets with only the bad leg, increase the weight some and do three sets eccentric (pushing with both legs and coming back with just the bad one....in other words, doing the harder part with both legs and the easier part with just one), then increase the weight again and do  three sets with both legs. It takes a long time and is very difficult, but that is definitely the thing that has built the most strength for me. And as I get stronger and want to increase the weight, the only way I can do it is to add ten pounds, but not try to bend very far (almost like short arc exercises). As I get stronger, I can bend farther....but never past 120 at the most. I just have too much pain and tightness to do more than that.

Keep working at it. It will come back. Just remember that "a long time" really is months and months, not weeks. Are you doing any step-down exercises at all?

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline JDELUNA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 12:13:15 AM »
Everyone I want to thank you for all of your replies and help. As for pain, I am blessed by God that I have no pain on either knee, just the muscle weakness of both legs,  and I do have full range of movement on both legs. I guess the saying that they have "use it or lose it" really is that, I have not used the muscles to go down the stairs on both legs for 6 months and have lost it all. The rebuilding phase is really hard as it just seems so incredible to lose so much muscle and stength in such a very short time. I also did notice that it is very important to let your body rest in order for any of the gains you have worked for to work and show itself. I notice that after a good workout that after letting my legs rest for about 2 days, I notice that I am atually better, stronger, it may just be a small amount, but every single amount counts. I also find that stretching is very important as it really helps before and after my workouts. I will try some of the exercises that you all have suggested. Again thanks and God Bless.  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:15:43 AM by JDELUNA »