Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Transplant..HELP!!  (Read 3378 times)

Offline myrtknee94

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Transplant..HELP!!
« on: December 09, 2004, 06:48:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

The OS called, I am scheduled for: ACL reconstruction, menisectomy and meniscal transplant on Jan. 20th at noon.   :-[

THIS IS ALOT OF SURGERY!  :o  

Does anyone know what the recovery from something like this is?  Realistically how long will I be out of work/off my feet?  I know alot depends on the person.

To anone else who has had surgery: Is it normal to begin to doubt that you need the surgery?  That maybe you can just learn to live with pain/change in lifestyle?

Any insight, encouragement, thoughts...anything is greatly appeciated!

~Kristen  :(  
2/94 ACL, Medial and Lateral Meniscus tears
3/94 Arthroscopy - debridement, partial
        medial menisectomy
1/05 ACL reconstruction w/ hamstrings, medial
        microfractures femur & tibia

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
Re: ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Transplant..HE
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 05:26:40 PM »
Kristen,

I have had a medial and lateral meniscus transpant in 2001. I had the lateral meniscus transplant at the same time as a ACL revision. It was a very tough rehab for me. I had to be non weight bearing for 8 weeks and my motion was restricted to no more than 60 degrees of flexion for those 8 weeks because it is very important to give teh transplant time to heal. The rehab protoclas are so different for ACL (usually immediate weight bearing and lots of bending) and meniscus transplant (non weightbearing and motion restriction) it is tough to do them together, but it can be done.
All in all I was on crutches for 4 months after surgery. Unfortantly I develop a lot of scar tissue and needed a manipulation and debridment to gain my motin back.
It has been a very long road and while I was going throuhg it I doubted it I should have done it, but now, a year alfter my last surgery I am very glad I did it. It was well worth it.
Let me know if you have any more questions. Make sure you have a surgeon who is experianced in meniscus transplants, it is a technical surgery which requires a lot of skill and ask lots of questions. You may be able to get a list of his patiens who have ahd similar surgery so you can talk to them.

Good Luck

Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,† LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline myrtknee94

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Transplant..HE
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 11:39:36 PM »
Melanie~

Thank you so much for your post!  It is really helpful to hear from someone who has had a transplant.  Was there alot of pain when you had both procedures done?  I have spoken to my OS and I have great confidence in him.  He is the director of the western new york cartilage restoration center, I'm so glad I'm with him!

Do you have any ideas on excercises that I can do in the meantime (over the next month) to strengthen my leg?  Is there anything I should avoid doing?

It is very encouraging to hear that you had a good outcome (after alot of hard work of course!).   I just got fit for my IROM brace today....it is quite beastly looking!

~Kristen
2/94 ACL, Medial and Lateral Meniscus tears
3/94 Arthroscopy - debridement, partial
        medial menisectomy
1/05 ACL reconstruction w/ hamstrings, medial
        microfractures femur & tibia

Offline beannie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Transplant..HELP!!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:58:02 AM »
Kristen,

Iím 17 and just 3 weeks ago I under went my 6th operation, which involved a meniscal transplant, a double bundle acl, as well as a tightening of the ligaments in my right knee.  I remained in the hospital for 2 days, and then was allowed to go home.  The doctor has informed me that I will be non weight bearing for 8-10 weeks due to the extensiveness of this procedure, and because of the meniscal transplant.  My knee has been immobilized at 15 degrees and will remain so until the 8-10 weeks is over with, at which I am not yet sure what will happen.  My doctor is watching after the issue of developing scar tissue, seeing as though I have already once in my past needed to have a manipulation done due to extensive scar tissue, however as of right now he is not worrying and would rather I develop scar tissue to ensure that no harm be done to the work that has just been accomplished.   He has informed me that the issue of scar tissue is not one that needs to be very worried about because it is something that can easily be dealt with. 

I personally have already been though so much in my past that before this procedure I began to wonder if I would need it at all, however, I came to the conclusion that I want to be able to live a normal life and that no one should have to live in constant pain, so the surgery was something that I had to go through.  I knew that the rehab would be difficult, and it would be challenging both mentally and physically but Iím sure that itíll be worth it in the end.  As of right now it is very challenging, the first couple of weeks was very hard because of the pain, but now the pain has subsided for the most part, and the most challenging part as of right now is having to constantly be on crutches and the mental aspect of it all.  Before going in for surgery I would try to develop your quad muscles as much as possible due to the fact that the muscles can be lost very quickly after surgery. 

Procedures like this are very challenging mentally and physically, but I believe that in the end it is all worth it as it allows a person to finally live a normal life.  As long as you have trust in your doctor and remain positive then all will go well.  Good Luck with your surgery and I hope that all goes well.

Jun 2003- ACL replacement (graft)
Jul  2003- removal of infection + ACL
Nov 2003-  Scar tissue removal, with manipulation
Nov 2004- ACL replacement using patella tendon
May, 2005- Scope with screw removal, cyclopse removal
Dec 2005- Double Bundle ACL, Meniscal transplant, tightening of ligament

Offline sarucci

• Regular Poster
Re: ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Transplant..HELP!!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:02:40 AM »
Wow!  These are intense postings and while they have happy endings it sounds so horrifying.  I was injured end of February and had a scope end of March and I'm still working on getting my range of motion back so that I can have my acl reconstruction and meniscal transplant.  The surgeon said that the transplant is a bit debatable as I've lost 40% of it and am 27 years old... I don't know what his logic is, but I suppose he intends on discussing this after I achieve improved range of motion and prior to the surgery!  Anyway, the stories are interesting to read and any advice is always helpful.  :-\
ACL 3, MCL 2+, LCL, Meniscal Tear- February 2006
Scope= 40% meniscal removed- March 2006
High Tibial Osteotomy, ACLR- July 2006
Healing Time- NOW (post surgery)
...  looking forward to golf & yoga
28 y/o ex-varsity soccer player

support