Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "Rice" in knee??  (Read 3377 times)

Offline saintidiot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
"Rice" in knee??
« on: November 23, 2002, 10:30:15 AM »
I went into arthoscopic surgery for a tear, but they found the fluid in the knee had hundreds of small "rice" like fragments (soft not bone).  The Dr. went into the knee and cut like apples from a tree a mess more of the fragments.   Other than a minor tear that would not have caused much of a problem, the knee was in great shape.   There was no other negative things in the knee.  Has anyone heard of such a thing?  (Nothing was on the xrays or MRI)

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
Re: "Rice" in knee??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 05:14:11 PM »
I don't know what the medical term fro this is, but I remember reading something about knee mice.  I wonder if that is the same thing.  Try searching either here on this site or on the net and see what comes up.
Good luck
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 05:57:09 PM »
Maybe thats a good question to aask the Knee Guru herself, I havent seen anything about that in here before. Welcome to the site, Im sure you will be here for a long time. Everyones been through something and they all are a great support. Also there's all the information you could possibly want. Im sure someone will point you in the right direction. Good Luck
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline saintidiot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 06:02:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  It is really weird to have something and very find very little info, even with web searches.  Just not much out there; Just a few hints of some similar conditions.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 07:26:13 PM »
Is this OCD or osteochondritis dissecans (hope I spelled that right)?

Kind of sounds like it, you might look it up.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2002, 05:03:45 PM »
LOL, sounds like snap, crackle and pop. Referr to the Kellogs site. Sorry, just being a dope. Let us know what you find on the matter ;D
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline mitass

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 03:28:15 AM »
Hi all,

I heard the term 'knee mouse' ~10y ago - this is connective tissue (cartilage mainly) that gets detached, forms small chuncks and starts 'floating' freely in the join. It demages the join from inside.

Hope that helps

Offline saintidiot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 02:42:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I go back to the Doctor on the 12 of Dec and hope he has something better back from Pathology.  My knee is better after they cleaned it out.  I just hope it stays that way!

Offline saintidiot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: "Rice" in knee??Th
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 11:37:30 PM »
The doctor thinks it is "Synovial Chondromatosis", with the rice being "Oiteochondial Bodies".  So the result is really noone knows why this occurs, how to prevent it or if it will return. The estimate is 25-30% prob it will reoccur.  But no treatment or other thing that can impact the prob. that it will reoccur. They really have no clue as to why it happens.

Offline jasel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 03:16:12 AM »
I had the snap and crackle ( not the pop) in my knee before the scope. I ended up being diagnosed during a scope, with osteochondritis.  I figured out that the sounds and crunching was coming from the chondral lesion being chewed away! It did feel like I had either stones or uncooked rice in there. But I thought the term was "mice" not "rice".
By the way I ended up having a chondroplasty, where they drill into the bone, and a lateral release. That was over one year ago, and I am still in pain.
Jody

Offline saintidiot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 02:42:11 AM »
I am not sure, but I think the mice do damage to the knee, while my problem was "rice" that are softer and did not do any damage.
The only problem was the knee produced large amounts of fluid that prevented me from moving my knee.  The pain was not high, but just could not move the knee.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 100
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
Yes I think this must be synovial chondromatosis - http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Synovial+chondromatosis
--
KNEEguru

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
Hi-
I have Synovial Chondromatosis and have a few threads listed here with Knee Guru under Soft Tissue Healing PRoblems.  Do a search and you can read my story.  And yes it can recur.  See my signature!  Right now I have some bits left from my last surgery in a bursa and in the back of the knee but they don't seem to be growing in the past two years.  I did just have a knee replacement and hope that holds it off permanently.  No guarantees though.  If the disease is active even with a new knee if does come back.  So  I keep my fingers crossed.  If it continues to grow back I highly recommend seeing an Orthopedic Oncologist.  They specialize in benign soft tissue tumors also and would have more experience with this disease than your average OS.  It is rare and just not many doctors have the experience with it.
If I can answer any of your questions please just let me know and I'll be glad to help.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR