Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: exercises that don't stress the joint  (Read 826 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
exercises that don't stress the joint
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:44:04 AM »
Hello. I have been told by my OS no exercise for a month due to what he claims is a bone bruise.  I asked him about exercises to keep my quad muscles strong and he basically didn't give me any.  He just told me that I shouldn't do any leg exercises that stress out the joint area.  I don't know what exercises do and don't stress out the joint area, so I decided to just not do any at all.  I have been to PT and all the exercises that I did there caused increased pain.  I am three weeks into the no exercise and I noticed today that I had slightly decreased range of motion when trying to extend my leg straight out.  At first I was thinking that maybe it was just related to the rainy weather we are having and then I started looking at my quad muscles which are pretty much mush. I have lost whatever little quad strength I gained in PT over three months ago.  Can anyone give me any exercises that I can do that will increase my muscle strength and maintain my range of motion without stressing out the joint?  My pain is around the medial meniscus area and I don't go back to the OS for two more weeks.  Would the decreased range of motion be due to  the atrophy of my muscles?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.    
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline islandgirl2

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: exercises that don't stress the joint
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 07:00:47 AM »
My problem was different, torn meniscus and a lot of swelling in both knees so they ordered bedrest for 5 weeks!  No joke.  I asked about exercises, and they said absolutely no weight bearing.  Let me tell you, my right leg literally shrank in that time.  By the sixth week I had surgery and felt like my right leg wasn't my own.  Three weeks post op and today was my first PT session.  The therapist was shocked that they would tell me 'do nothing' to the leg.  Talk about mush :-[

I hope someone can help you.  What about isometrics?  I don't know if there is a book or dvd on that.  Sorry I can't help, but I just wanted you to see that some of these quacks say do nothing and they don't seem to realise what happens to your body afterwards!

Take care.

Offline kneesurgery

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 08:48:08 AM »
Straight leg lifts are the best you can do.  lay flat with your good leg bent.  With your leg fully straight lift it up to just above your bent leg.  Go very slow and hold at the top.  You can do these laying on your back, stomach and both sides.  This will work all parts of the quad.  

Heel flexes will work the calf (find it hard to believe) laying with your feet haning off the bed, bend your foot back and forth.  

You can also do leg extentions.  Sit in a chair or the edge of your bed with your leg hanging and lift it to fully straight and then back down.

Not sure if swimming would qualify as non-weightbearing, but this would be an excellent idea as well.

Offline hondacrazy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I REALLY Knee'd to get back playing soccer!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 01:50:15 PM »
Hey there - same, same - 2 ops 3months apart therefore quads DISAPPEARED!! Which has now become one of my main problems - this is very serious and I wouldnt take it lightly if I were you -I am blessed with an excellent physio and she got me a TENS machine -basically, its this thing that you wrap around your thigh and electronic impulses are sent to stimulate the muscles - you dont have to move. Its worked for me, my muscle bulk improved giving me the opportunity to get back to the gym to do some light work.  I would recommend one (dont expect miracles though!) its just slight improvements and better than nothing.  My one costs 79euro a month to rent (the 1st month was 130ish as you have to pay for the leg wrap or something) I have it 3 months now and its well worth it. I am in Ireland so I bet they will be cheaper almost everywhere else!!
Claire :-)
Torn & blistered cartilage in Right knee - 2 scopes Apr & Sept 04
Cortizone injection Dec 04 (RK) Jan 05 (LK)