Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help, anyone!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Heather_K.

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help, anyone!
« on: November 23, 2002, 04:38:25 AM »
Hi Everyone,
 I hope you can help me. I have another incision that won't close. I had my ankle surgery last March, surgery went great, then I had an accident and my ankle literally came apart, it has taken 3 more surgeries to piece it back together and we are still working on the final stages. I just had major knee surgery ( patellar realignment) 3 weeks ago and my incision that is about 8" long, 5" of it has split apart and is bleeding, that is not normal for almost 3 weeks postop. Anyone have any ideas? I have no idea why this keeps happening. Am I missing a chemical/mineral/vitamen in my body that is keeping me from healing? Has anyone had problems with their incisions or reactions to the sutures?
Thanks for your help!
Heather K.
rt: lateral. release, chondroplasty, TTT+ LR, MPFL recon.+scar tissue removed Left: TTT+LR, revision with new screws + 8 ankle surgeries =Total of 30 surgeries, MRSA infect. with muscle/skin graft surgery. Surgeries 10 RT knee, 12 LefT knee, 8 Left ankle. message/email me for info/advice on TTT's. .

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Help, anyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 05:30:29 AM »
Hi, Heather.

You know that I've had the same problems you have...especially with the incision not closing or healing for weeks at a time.  My last arthroscopy incision still had a scab on it at 11 WEEKS post-op....

Just so you know, I had a full immunology workup at the Mayo Clinic, and they could find nothing wrong with me that would cause delayed wound closure.  The best they could come up with is that some people don't heal within the 'normal' timeframe given by the doctors.

All I can say is to keep the area clean, dry, covered, and change the bandage often...I'm sure you're resting with the leg elevated and not putting any weight on it, right?  My doctor almost put me in an immobilizing brace last time to keep the incision closed.

Also, one final thought--a wound will not close in the presence of infection, however slight.  Could it be that you have a really low-grade infection that your body is *mostly* controlling but not quite perfectly?  I remember that last time when I was put on a new antibiotic (changed to Levaquin from Cipro) that the wound closed almost in the space of an afternoon about 72 hours after starting the new meds....it's worth a call to your doctor to find out.

Until then, take care of that wound and keep it clean.  I'm sorry you're going through this again.  I'm sure I'll be sending you panicked messages in a few weeks after my upcoming surgery.....

Hope you feel better soon.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support