Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OH NO not my son!!  (Read 3296 times)

brattkids2

OH NO not my son!!
« on: December 06, 2004, 01:57:50 AM »
My son was playing outside yesterday and seemed fine when he came in. When he woke up this morning he could not bear weight or extend  his left leg.

He is only 6 and way too young for knee problems!!!

He cant  extend his leg or put any weight on it without screaming in pain. I have given him motrin and put my ice man on him. He says the pain is in the back of his knee- anyone have any ideas. I can passively move his leg with no pain until just before full extention, but when he tries to move it there is pain. His knee is also swelled up. He says that someone fell on his leg yesterday.

I am getting him into the doc first thing in the morning but I am a nervous wreck knowing how bad mine and the hubby's knees are.

Thanks for listening
Paulette

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: OH NO not my son!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 02:04:36 AM »
I wouldn't suggest waiting until tomorrow, go to the ER if you can tonight.  In younger kids the soft tissues are often stronger than the bones, so injuries are much more likely to result in a fracture.  This is something that should not be messed with since there could be damaged to the growth plate, and if there is pain, there could be further damage occuring.  

Also if you go the ER, you son should be able to be seen by an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow because many OS reserve a certain number of spots for patients seen in the ER.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline sjugradgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • My KneePhoto Diary
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 05:09:10 AM »
OH sweetie,
Please please please take your son to the ER. You do not want to fool around with a knee injury. It might be his ACL. Whatever it is, it need to be attended to.
Let us know what is going on. I will pray that your son has a speedy recovery.
95-Reallignment,
99-patellar tendon repair  LR,04-arthroscopy,chondroplasty,meniscal repair
preparing for arthroscopy, TTT, scar clean up, soft tissue repair Jan 24

brattkids2

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 07:24:17 PM »
well I got my son to the ER and after lots of tests and waiting the doc said it was just a severe sprain. all x-rays and  tests came back ok

What a relief. I was a nervous wreck. Doc said it was better to be safe than sorry especialy with the growth plate issue.

Thanks everybody
Paulette

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 08:22:13 PM »
*whew*, that's "great" news! Granted, it stinks that your son has a severe sprain, but at least all his ligaments are intact and no bones were broken -- especially that pesky growth plate.

Glad to hear he's going to be a-okay! :)

Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline sjugradgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • My KneePhoto Diary
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 01:02:16 AM »
I am so glad to hear that it was nothing toooooo tooooo major/serious. I am glad you got him looked at. Give the dear a little hug from all of us knee gurus out here!
95-Reallignment,
99-patellar tendon repair  LR,04-arthroscopy,chondroplasty,meniscal repair
preparing for arthroscopy, TTT, scar clean up, soft tissue repair Jan 24

Offline hockeydad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
    • Kevin
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 02:11:00 AM »
My son , 9 years old, hurt his knee a while back.  We took him to the doctors and they said it was just a bad spain as well.  We pressed and got the e-rays just in case.  The x-rays showed no bone damage at all.  Still, knowing that x-rays don't show much but bone issues, we pressed further for the MRI.  A week later we found out that our son tore his ACL and Meniscus.  Not a great discovery, but at least we know.  If your insurance will cover it, go the extra step.  I'm sick and tired of cookie cutter doctors that are affraid to piss off the insurance companies.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »
I think you should probably still see an orthopedic surgeon. ER doctors are great, but they don't find everything. I was told I probably did something to a ligament and to see an OS in a few days. When I finally saw one, I found out I had ruptured my quadriceps tendon! Major injury! I was in open knee surgery on an emergency basis. But it was still way past the 48 hours recommended for a tendon repair.

My daughter tore her MCL while playing softball. We took her screaming straight to the ER, where they told us she had probably torn her ACL, MCL and one other ligament (the "big three"). When we took her to the OS, it was only her MCL. While still a bad injury, it would heal on its own and she didn't need surgery.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but just to point out that ER doctors are orthopedists. It's great that nothing showed on the x-ray, but especially if he continues to have pain, I'd get him seen by an OS.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

brattkids2

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 04:10:35 PM »
I am bringing him in to the OS on Wednesday. I know with mine and my husbands knee problems he doesnt need anything major wrong with his.

I have called to have all the films ready.

I would rather be safe than sorry with this little guy.

I too hate the insurance companies. They are always trying to change what your doctor says is best for you. I mean they have never examined me and told me I couldnt have a certain medication that my doctor prescribed and that I had to try another one first. I told them that would be fine except I would end up in the ER as I was allergic to the one they wanted me to have thats why the doctor prescribed me the other one. The customer service rep felt really stupid and said she hated the policy too. She agreeed that the doctors know the patient better but money rules the world.

Thanks to everybody for listening I thought I was gonna have heart failure thinking my son was seriously hurt.

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 04:41:58 PM »
Paulette,

I'm glad that you are taking your son to the OS.  I have been dealing with a similar situation with my 9 yr old.  He has had this infection (cellulitis) on and off from his thigh to his shin for about 6 weeks now.  The last time it came back the pediatrician sent him for a bunch of tests so see what was causing it.  The xray showed some sort of defect on the top of his fibula.  After having the films reviewed by 2 radiologist they have said that it is a cortical defect...benign bone tumor.  This doesnt sit very well with my husband and me so we have insisted on a bone scan to be sure.(which he is having tomorrow)  The tumor had absolutley nothing to do with the infection, they called it an incidental finding.   Regardless, knowing that something is growing on my sons leg makes me want to do everything possible to be sure that it is definatley benign.  
Well, sorry to have rambled on ...I just wanted to say that you really can never be too careful.  Sometimes as a parent you need to do whatever you can for that peace of mind.  
Good luck at the OS.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 05:16:09 PM »
Hey Paulette !!

Better check it out to be 100% sure as your son is so young and have all his life in front of him.
I agree it's so hard to see when the kids hurt themselves and if they hurt themselves badly or not.
Anyway just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you. Have son age 10 myself and the way he moves around with kickboard,skateboard,inlines,bikes,snowboard,downhills and everything else I'm amazed that we haven't been to ER more then twice. Both time had to fix a suture in his face.
Take care, I'm sure he will be fine.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Mcat33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 05:00:35 PM »
Hi Paulette,
I just read your post and wanted to say I am glad you are going to an orthopedic Dr. for your son ... push for that MRI !! I supposedly sprained my knee in July and by the end of August I was not getting better only worse from being busy with my 9 year old daughter all summer. I had the MRI and it turns out I had a completely torn medial meniscus and a cyst too. I had surgery in Nov. and guess what ... my Dr. found a partially torn ACL that did not show up on my MRI  :o suprise , suprise so, you never know with some of the scans. Hopefully your sons will be negative and the pain will go away. I will pray for that because, I know how hard it would be with my daughter. In fact she was having leg pain after my surgery but, it did go away for now and hopefully for good !!
Take care,
Michelle   :)
Aug. 04 MRI torn medial meniscus with cyst   right knee. Partial meniscetomy (60%) Nov. 4,  04 scope revealed partially torn acl too looking at reconstruction ...

brattkids2

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 07:33:14 PM »
Thank you everybody for all of your support.

Went to the OS and he is going to get an MRI just to make sure all the ligs and tends are ok with the little guy. He doesnt think there is anything but he just wants to be sure.

He is walking ok but wakes up really stiff and sore. Os thinks its just a sprain. He will call us with MRI results.

Thanks again
Paulette

support