Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Increased pain after ultrasound??  (Read 13044 times)

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Ouch!!
Increased pain after ultrasound??
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:43:07 AM »
Hi,
I went to my new physio in a new hospital on Thursday.  For my 1st time ever after 7 operations, Im having therapies to help control my pain.  I thought physio was just to help build strength and get you up and about again!, how wrong I was!!. ;D
So far Im really pleased with my physio and her alternative and positive approach to my treatment.
Over the next few months, she is going to try several different therapies like ultrasound to help control the pain, until we find the best that suits me, as well as  strengthening and coordinating my muscles.

I began with a session of Ultrasound - the funny machine which is rubbed over the pain area with a blob of that cold blue jelly. :D

Within an hour of the treatment, I began feeling alot of extra pain in my knee which became far far worse over the evening. :(  I spent the whole evening with my leg propped on pillows on the settee wrapped in hot-water bottles, eating painkillers like they were sweeties!. :-[
I had a very rough night sleep and felt pretty sore all the next day.  :-[ Today it had eased a bit. ;), but still as sore as before the ultrasound.

The question is, could this extra pain be related to the ultrasound??.
Has anyone else had increased pain after treatment??.

I see my physio again on Tuesday and will discuss it with her, but until then Id like a bit of reassurance or just like to hear others people's experiences, positive and negative.

Thanks everyone,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Increased pain after ultrasound??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 06:04:00 AM »
Ultrasound if improperly applied can cause extensive pain.  The pain is felt when the bone or hardware heats up too quickly.  Or it can be very painful if there is any defect in the bone.  The pain comes when the utrasonic waves cause the defect to vibrate and irritates the area.  However, it is very unusual for that pain to last as long as you descibe.  Normally the pain will cease once the ultrasound head is moved from the area.  

Did you do anything else in PT that might account for the pain?
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 12:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sarah.
I had absolutley no pain whilst having the ultrasound, it just began about an hour after.
It is back to normal now.
Other than a discussion on my knee history and a few gentle bends and twists of my knee, nothing else was done, as I have a pretty good gym routine anyway.

I did go to the gym and swimming before the physio session.  I returned to the gym the Saturday before, 27th Nov, the op was on the 23rd Nov.  I did nothing overboard or different from usual, other that it was the 1st time I swam since the scope as the portals had just healed.  The swimming was no bother to me though!.

Thanks,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 02:24:47 PM »
Heather, the ultrasound did make my knee hurt worse but only for a short time afterwards. I have no idea why. The end results were that it never actually helped my situation at all. I hope it works for you.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia