Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Questions about Donjoy IROM brace  (Read 1744 times)

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • stupid knee!
Questions about Donjoy IROM brace
« on: December 02, 2004, 04:35:02 AM »
I had patellar tendon reconstruction in August, was in a full leg cast for about two months and have been in a Donjoy IROM brace ever since. From my understanding, it's pretty uncommong for someone to be in this type of brace as long as I have.

Thing is, my brace is practically falling apart now, and I'm still going to need to be in this brace for at least another two months. I don't even know if it's going to MAKE it another two months, to be honest. The velcro hardly works anymore (I've tried to clean it, didn't really do muhc), and the fabric on the straps are SO worn out. Plus, the velcro straps are also falling apart themselves, they are so stringy and threads are hanging all over the place.

My biggest problem is that the brace is now starting to slip, no matter how tight I put it on. I wonder if it's because of the velcro and the fabric not being as strong as it should be, or if my muscles are STILL atrophying after all this time (I still haven't been able to do aggressive PT).

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions to try to keep the brace in the best condition possible for as LONG as possible? I'm not even sure if I could ask my doctor for a new one, and I know they are expensive to purchase on your own. I dunno, maybe I WILL have to ask him to order a new one, but I'd really rather use that as a last resort.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture