Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Here is my Knee Story  (Read 912 times)

Offline sjugradgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • My KneePhoto Diary
Here is my Knee Story
« on: December 01, 2004, 12:19:35 AM »
Here is my knee story. Lots of people have asked so, since it is so long, here it is:
Hi.
Well, My knee problems started when i was 14. I was in dance class and my knee dislocated.  This was in the Lehigh Valley. The OS said that if it happens again, that he would operate.  Well about 6 months later, it happened again. So I had surgery the day after Christmas of that year.  After that things were fine.  I returned to dancing 6 days a year for the next 4-5 years. I became a dance major at college.  I had danced in disney world and new york and was a part time dance teacher.  Then I was walking down the steps at the septa train station and my foot slipped and I tore my patellar tendon.  I was rushed to einstein and the OS there said that if I ever want to walk again I needed to get surgery the next day.  So I did. I was at Einstein for 4 days.  
After 5 months practically bedridden, a full leg cast, and a 70 pound weight gain, I had to stop dancing. The OS said that I had to stop all dancing and should find a desk job.  I listened for a bit. Then I started going back to the gym. I was doing awesome. I had no problems at all. I had a personal trainer/sports trainer who said my leg was very strong and I lost 40 pounds.  I was jogging, squating. Going to the gym 5 days a week with no problems.  I work with toddlers, so I was crawling on the floor with them, squatting and playing with them with no problems. I was doing stairs with no problems.  You wouldn't even know that I had knee problems unless you saw the hideous scar on my knee from my surgeries.
Then on Sept. 10th of this year, I fell down 2 (yes 2) steps and landed on a flexed knee.  I strained my patellar tendon.  They put me in an immobilizer and I went to 3B orthopeadics at UPenn.  They sent me to get an MRI. They said the MRI was fine. That I was fine and that I could return to work.  NO WAY! I still couldnt' bend my leg, it was hurting constantly and my leg all the way to my toes was swollen so much that I couldn't put shoes and socks on.  And you know what they said? That is was NORMAL!
So I went to the Rothman Institute for a second opinion.  He told me to go to PT to increase my ROM. I couldn't get to 45 degrees if I tried. I couldn't do it. It hurt to the point of tears.  So he decided to go in to take a look inside with the scope and to probably shave down some of my patella.  When he went in he saw meniscal tears and he cleaned those up for me.  Then, he said that my patella wasn't staying in place and was very unstable. He said he will probably ahve to do some  kind of reallignment,b ut he wanted to get the Op Reports of my first 2 surgeries before he made any decisions.  So, now he has the reports and I will be seeing him this Thursday.  So I am thinking taht then he wil be telling me his plans.  
I am still swollen, inflammed, inpain, and my patella keeps moving/clicking/popping/shifting/sticking.   So we will see. That is my story. Sorry so long.
95-Reallignment,
99-patellar tendon repair  LR,04-arthroscopy,chondroplasty,meniscal repair
preparing for arthroscopy, TTT, scar clean up, soft tissue repair Jan 24

Offline gimpybecks

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Here is my Knee Story
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:14:35 AM »
I'm still kind of new to this whole knee surgery thing so I don't have any ideas or advice or anything except good luck with seeing him on thursday.  

I hope all goes well.

Offline sjugradgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • My KneePhoto Diary
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 03:23:13 AM »
thanks gimpybecks,
i have read your story. I am inspired by you. still scared as crap. but inspired. lol
95-Reallignment,
99-patellar tendon repair  LR,04-arthroscopy,chondroplasty,meniscal repair
preparing for arthroscopy, TTT, scar clean up, soft tissue repair Jan 24

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 05:00:19 AM »
dont you worry about the length.  i too am pretty new to this whole "knee" thing, but i'll send you my best wishes, and lots of luck and hugs.

good luck,
-Lesley
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player