Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Total Knee Replacement  (Read 707 times)

Offline ABQ_Melody

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Total Knee Replacement
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:37:52 PM »
I'm new to this board and would appreciate feedback from anyone who thinks they can answer my questions.  In October I had one knee arthroscoped for a torn meniscus.  Once the surgeon got it, it became apparent that the meniscus was not able to be stitched back together, and instead, 3/4 of the meniscus ended up being removed, and was told then that I would need a total knee replacement whenever the knee decided to give out.  I have pretty advanced osteoarthritis in both knees.  My questions are:

(1) For about the last 3 weeks, I have begun to experience pain back at the level I was before the arthroscope surgery.  Should I now just go back to the orthopedic surgeon and talk with him about proceeding with the total knee replacement?

(2) Everything that I have read on the internet suggests that surgeons don't like to do the total knee replacement on people under the age of 55.  I will turn 49 in a month.  At some point, I have to believe that the decision has to be mine to proceed with the surgery because I'm in pain, rather than having to wait 6 more years and bein pain.  Right????  

(3)  I am overweight.  I am working hard at this point to get as much weight off of me before I end up having the surgery.  I have lost 15 pounds so far.  I would like to lose about 50 pounds.  If something happens between the time of the surgery and now, and I am unable to get these 50 pounds off, would they likely refuse to proceed with the surgery?

(4) My orthopedist suggested getting those shots (hyalgan) to stimulate the production of synovial fluid in the joint, however, the medicine is not on my medical plan's formulary and it is too expensive for me, so this is not an option for me.

Thanks for any help.

Melody

Offline travis50

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Cyborg knee..That's me
Re: Total Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 12:20:17 AM »
Hi Melody,
                I am 5 weeks post op TKR..Like you I was told by a number of OSs that I was too young..I shopped around and finally found one that was prepared to give me a new knee and therefore my quality of life back..If you go to the bottom of the buletin board you will find a section dedicated to TKR. Read the postings there. I think you will find that of use..Having TKR is a big desision.It is very painfull and as I am finding out lots of side effects. But, it's about quality of life in the end..  Take care..Keep us posted..Trav

support