Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Problems after surgery is this normal??  (Read 1292 times)

Offline g8trzz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Problems after surgery is this normal??
« on: November 28, 2004, 04:59:37 PM »
My husband had arthscopic surgery on his knee Tuesday.  He kept it elevated for 3 days as he was told to do and walks around a little since Friday.  He has been complaining of his calf hurting him and this morning he says that it hurts so bad he can hardly stand it.  He said it isnt his knee that hurts but his calf.  Is this normal?  He had broken that leg many many years ago and developed a blood clot in it where he was hospitalized so in the back of my mind I was wondering if that was what it could be.  I would really appreciate some feedback on this as I am  not sure what to do to help him.  Thanks!

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: Problems after surgery is this normal??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 05:31:23 PM »
Hi,

My calfs hurt after arthoscopic procedures as well.  Personally I don't think my experience is was connected to the actually surgery but  was from being on crutches (you put strain on other muscles when you use them) and especially from limping when not useing the crutches.  After a few days the pain and aches in my calfs went away. But the pain I had in them was more than from my knee at times!  Keep in mind that the leg is often manipulated during surgery so there could be some bruising going on in the calf that you are not aware of.

If you are concerned at all about it ( you mentioned a history of blood clots) contact your OS and get some insight.

Good Luck
Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 05:47:13 PM »
Hey there.

An operation such as that can lead to pains in the calf quite often as excess fluid from within the knee joint passes down the leg....and as the other poster said for all manner of other reasons related to bruising and so on.
However if your husband has a history of dvt or blood clots you should monitor the situation VERY carefully.

Main signs to lookfor are:

Pain in the leg

Tenderness in the calf (this is one of the most important signs)

Leg tenderness

Swelling of the leg

Increased warmth of the leg

Redness in the leg

Bluish skin discoloration

Discomfort when the foot is pulled upward

However dont forget that some of these symptoms can be from the op itself. Like tenderness and pain.
If however your husband is suffering from a suspicious amount of symptoms from this list then dont hesitate and get to your local A & E (or ER depending where you live) immediately. DVT is not something to be trifled with :o

Good luck and keep us posted
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 05:48:05 PM by andrewc »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline g8trzz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 06:09:55 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies!  We will probably call tomorrow if the pain persists just to be safe.  I feel better after your replies though! ;D

support