Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ankle surgery?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Jetter88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Ankle surgery?
« on: November 26, 2004, 05:50:37 PM »
Hi everyone...
I realize that this is a site about knee injuries, but I haven't found a site specific on ankle injuries. Do anyone know of any?

I recently (4 weeks ago) had microfracture surgery on my left ankle after a bad sprained ankle playing baseball. After being told several times that there was nothing they could do... I got a second opinion and within 5 mins he determined something could be done. The procedure included removing loose fragments, a cyst with a bone fragment in it and then a poking holes in the talus bone to generate fibrocartilage. I am walking on the ankle and experiencing a little pain, but i have been told not to run or jog on it for 3 months.

Has anyone had this procedure? if so, what were your experiences and what did you do to get back in shape?

thanks in advance!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Ankle surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:56:25 PM »
I  have not had your EXACT  problem but I have had 2 ankle ligament reconstructions and then 2 microfractures on my knee soooooooo. Here goes, Are you non weight bearing on your ankle? It takes time for the fibrocart. to form and running on it would NOT  be a good idea. After my first microfracture, OS didnt have me nwb long enough and it failed (now that hurts) After my second microfracture, OS had me nwb for 6 wks , partial for 2 and this time it worked. IT could take months for the fibrocart to completely heal so PLEASE listen to your OS. You do not want to do this surgery again. Think of it this way,,,,, running or jogging on your new cart. would be like rubbing the scab off of an injury. It will not heal if it doesnt scab over.

good luck and I hope this helped a little.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Jetter88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 07:15:14 PM »
Hi Missy

Thanks for the reply.

well... i was allowed to put weight-bearing weight on my ankle right after the surgery. I found this weird. I was not given crutches either after the surgery. I was told to limit walking for the first 5 days and to start light
exercising soon after. In 4 weeks I would be back to normal walking (its been 6 weeks now). I basically stayed off my ankle for almost 2 weeks though, b/c the swelling was still there. After a post-op meeting, the surgeon mentioned that I can start light biking and swimming, but no pounding to the ankle such as running or jogging for about 3 months. I could start playing hockey after 2 months... I found that weird. I didn't do anything for 4 weeks and i started the bike 4.5 weeks or so after the surgery. just slow biking though. I'm getting anxious to try and run... but i know better not too. I have another appt schedule in mid-Dec for myself. Is there anything that I should ask?

My history of the ankle goes back to May/03 (sprained my ankle in baseball) to the suregry in Oct/04. After
visiting countless doctors, appts, second opinions... the surgery was finally done. I'm finding that my ankle
doesn't give out as it use to. But over this 1.5 year period my knee on the same leg has been experiencing pain... maybe due to the ankle. I have an an MRI in the meantime on the knee and there are no tears, so its a wait and see game.

I'm glad to hear that your knee is better after the 2nd microfracture. What is the history on that and how long
has it been since the last surgery? Are you feeling any pain? Are you confident in the knee? How is the ankle? Is it on the same leg?
Sorry about the questions... I find it very interesting and would like to know what others experience.

Mark

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 08:04:31 PM »
Hi Mark, My ankle and knee injuries are on opposite legs. Right ankle, left knee. I was in a car accident and my foot was on the brake when I hit her HARD.  I tore all the ligaments and tendons off the bone. My knee hit the dash and took a large chunk of articular cartiledge off the medial femoral chondyle. My ankle is doing great, the second surgery did the trick (my first OS was a complete $sshole) who told me it was all in my head. I went for 2 more opinions and selected OS number 3. He is great. I have now had 4 surgeries on my left knee. Everything from microfracture to bone spur removal to plica removal to debridement to scar tissue removal. My last surgery was 7/29/04 and that was an open one strictly to remove part of my fat pad and clean the scar tissue out from under the kneecap and around the patella tendon. That surgery was a success BUT LOL. My knee still collapses without warning and hurts on a daily basis. The sad thing is , now my good knee is so over used that it hurts worse than the bad knee. I have resigned myself to this from now on. I am not willing to undergo anymore surgery anytime soon. It has nothing to do with the OS who I think is wonderful, I am just sick of surgery. I am tired of recovering from it. At last count it was 7 surgeries in 3 years. That is more than enough for me. I can walk ok for a while. I can sit for maybe 20mins before I stiffen up. I can stand long enough to cook dinner but not much more than that or the knees stiffen up BADLY. I know that that sounds depressing but it really isnt that bad. Yes it hurts but it could be much worse. I hope this makes you feel better
MY ANKLE VERY VERY SELDOM BOTHERS ME AT ALL.

Knees are just tougher to handle than ankles. I really hope this works for you. My ankle turned over without warning before my second surgery. That was tough. Now it never turns over and only aches if it is really damp and cold outside. I am very pleased with the  results.
Good luck with your MRI but remember, they dont show everything. Mine said that my meniscus was torn and even after all of these surgeries, that little rascal is still in one whole piece with none ever taken out.
let me know if you have any other questions that i might can help you with.
missy

ps, I have a brother named mark lol
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Jetter88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 06:50:45 AM »
Hi Missy,

That is a terrible accident. 4 surgeries on your knee already! I know exactly what you mean by over using the opposite leg. I did that and pulled my quad muscle. Hurting your knee is much more worse though. I'm glad that atleast your ankle is ok.

I really hope that my knee (left) is not being affected my left ankle (the one with the surgery). The damp and cold outside doesn't affect it too. Is there any exercises that you have been told to do... to strengthen the knee? I was told to strengthen the outer quad b/c they figure my knee cap is not running up and down the "groove" smoothly. This is why I sense a "grinding" feeling. They think my inner part of the quad is pulling the knee cap inwards. Have you been able to walk or run properly yet?

I so eager to run or jog, but I know better and will wait atleast another month and half before that.

Mark

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:34:19 PM »
HI Mark, I really dont have any specific exercises to do. The reason that my right knee (the non surgical one) hurts is NOT  because of the ankle injury. It is from overuse due to the repeated surgeries on the left knee.
As far as walking, I walk fine for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, then the stiffness and pain get to me. I usually keep going but I know that it is there. Running? I dont even try that. the quad on my left leg isnt up to par yet so I am afraid that I will re damage the knee if I tried. I think running is a thing of the past for me. Stinks too because now I cant play ball with the kids anymore. I really wanted to try skiing this year (havent been able for 3 years) but I dont think OS is gonna let me. He said that if I built my quad up enough, maybe by Feb I could try but it just isnt happening.
Good luck
any other questions, just post them
missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements