Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "good" knee turned "bad?"  (Read 2140 times)

Offline LP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
"good" knee turned "bad?"
« on: November 25, 2004, 01:02:50 AM »
does anyone have info/same problem?  the left knee was the originally injured knee (ACL) and have had 2 surgeries and 2 years of PT.  waiting for 3rd surgery in 3 weeks.  meantime, "good" right knee has been getting progressively worse so that it hurts more than the "bad" left knee now!   some dr or PT opinions say sympathetic injury to "good" knee will be permanent and need its own surgery soon - others say it is not permanent and will heal up on its own after surgery and PT fix up originally injured knee to support its own weight again.  so, one knee gets injured and the other gets a "bonus" injury by oversupporting the first one.  please, can anyone shed some hopeful light on this subject??  reassurance or advise greatly appreciated.   anyone have good luck with using laser treatments?thanks.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: "good" knee turned "bad?"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 04:14:26 AM »
Hello.  I can't really shed any light onto your situation, but I can sympathize with you.  I also started out with an injury on my "bad" knee and now have problems with my "good" knee as well.  I've asked my OS twice about my pain in my good knee  and he keeps telling me to worry about my bad knee for now, that I may have just overstressed the good one.   I too also have days where my "good" knee hurts worse than my "bad" one.  Good luck to you!!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 01:36:01 PM »
My left knee is the "bad" one but most days, my "good" one has started to hurt worse than the left one. I have found that anti inflammatories really help the good one. The OS prescribed them for the bad one and they dont help it at all but they really help the good one. I realise that I have overused it and will continue to do so BUT I have already told the OS,,,,,,,, hands off LOL. He has reconed my right ankle and left knee,,,, he isnt touching my right knee until I cant stand the pain anymore. If I could do it over again, I would have the ankle fixed and just suffered with the knee. Things got worse after surgery. Good luck and Happy THanksgiving.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline christinaz

• Forum Faithful
  • hindsight is 20/20
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 08:34:54 AM »
My good knee has been hurting for a while now and I'm pretty much told the same thing, that it's because I'm overstressing it and it will get better eventually.  My bad one hurts pretty bad though, so the pain in my good knee is really overshadowed by the bad one.  

Good Luck and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Love, Christina
3 scopes rt knee, acl recon pt graft rt knee,  rev acl recon allograft rt knee,  Hardware removal, lysis of scar tissue, ITBS, sublaxation, sensory peripheral neuropathy, DDD, arthritis, RSD, mystery hardware, flexion contracture, disuse atrophy, muscular wasting, constant fatigue, acl recon lt knee

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 08:25:56 PM »
Hi,

Seems like your situation is not uncommon.  My "bad" knee was my right, with two surgeries to correct alignement (lateral release) and torn cartlidge.  A few years back my left knee started to go down hill.  I always figured it was from years of overcompensating for my right knee.., but was never told  why my left knee started go bad.

Now the  left, getting a TTT in a few days.   Keep an eye on it and keep those quads in shape!  That will help a lot, believe it or not!

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline doglady606

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 10:04:44 PM »
Hi LP,
My "bad" knee is the left too.  My right did hurt  alot after the surgery on my left, but has since quit hurting as much.  I am now about 9 weeks post op on the bad one.
The OS said it was from all the stress of overcompensating for the bad one.
Good luck to you.
July 2004  Scope L. knee meniscus tears repaired(cut away), debridement, complete loss of articluar cartilage in medial compartment
Unispacer implant L. knee Spetember 2004
TKR right knee Nov. 08'

ariel

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 08:29:31 AM »
so, one knee gets injured and the other gets a "bonus" injury by oversupporting the first one.

That's what I've experienced - overcompensating my bad knee for just over a year with my good knee - I've tended to get out of chairs etc putting most of my weight on my good knee in an attempt to protect my bad knee  - also coming down the stairs with most of my weight hitting down on my good knee, again trying to stop the weight on my bad knee - have had periods within the last year when my good knee has been in considerable pain/aching continuosly for like one&half weeks at a time - the thing I try and keep in mind though is that there hasnt been a "major" injury incident with my good knee so eventually the bruising/overstressing should heal/calm down - good luck anyway mate.

brattkids2

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 04:40:11 PM »
My bad knee is my right knee but over the past 7 months with all the surgery on my right knee the left knee and hip hurt just as bad as the bad knee.

My OS said we will concentrate on getting the bad knee fixed and when thats done if the left still hurts we will look at it. He also uses the overuse theory.

Best of luck to you
Paulette

kneesknees

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:11:30 AM »
Same kind of situation here.  My bad knee is my right one but my left knee hurts more sometimes - it also crunches and clicks which makes me think something more is going on but try telling that to the doctors!

Recently went to my mri scan which I thought was for both knees but only had the right one done - I hope if there does turn out to be something wrong with the left that I don't have to wait so long again, lol

Hope you're all doin alrite, :)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 03:38:37 AM »
Out of curiosity, where does eveyones  "good" knee hurt at?  Mine hurts around the medial meniscus area, the same as on my other knee.  Have you found that you are having pain in the same area on your "good" knee as on your "bad" knee?
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05