Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: scope/manipulation  (Read 930 times)

Offline sha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • MY DAMN KNEE!
scope/manipulation
« on: November 24, 2004, 06:18:26 AM »
Hi everyone, I just found out today that I am going to have to go in for my third surgery on my left knee to remove some of the heavy scar tissue, possibly take out 0ne screw and manipulate my knee to try and gain some range back. I am 12 weeks post op from my patella repair and I have been going through a lot of pain to try and force my range but I still only have about 90 degrees (some what confortable but very hard to maintain the position for any amount of time). I was just wondering what kind of success people have had with this sort of thing and what I should expect. They want me to stay in the hospital for about a week and give me epiderals so that they can manipulate my knee daily and prevent the stiffness. Has anyone heard of this or experienced it?
Thanks guys... :'(I'm a little down I am beginning to lose hope of playing basketball again competitively and I know everyone here really does understand what it's like to go through all of this.
:-[Sha
Complete ACL/MCL tears and bone contusion on lateral condyle 05/04/04
ACL reconstruction 07/05/04
broken patella(3 pieces) rebuilt 08/31/04
= arthrofibrosis and scar tissue removal via scope/manipulation 16/12/04

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
Re: scope/manipulation
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:08:46 AM »
Sha -

The success of a manipulation depends on post-operative care. The thing with an MUA is after the surgery you really need to get the knee moving otherwise the joint will just scar up again. And unfortunately for those who form lots of scar tissue, that can happen very quickly.

I have heard of people staying in the hospital post-op, and from what I've heard it's a very good idea. I wish I was doing that for my latest surgery (I am going in for my fourth MUA/scope myself on the 30th), but that doesn't seem to be the route my doctor is taking at this time.

In terms of what you should expect, I would think that your OS will be putting you in a CPM if you are not already using one. Has your doctor discussed the use of a CPM with you (if you aren't already using one)? If you do end up using one, it'll likely become your best friend (or your worst enemy, however way you'd like to look at it :P ) . You'll probably be doing a lot of bending with the knee post-op to mantain the ROM. That's the key factor in athrofibrosis patients - maintaining the ROM. It may be "easy" for the surgeon (although MUAs can be very tedious for the surgeon to perform), but the tricky part is KEEPING that range of motion that was achieved.

When is your surgery scheduled? Keep us updated, please!

Keep your chin up, things will get better! Hope you have a great Turkey-Day :)

Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline sha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • MY DAMN KNEE!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 03:53:25 AM »
thanks Patricia,
I go in on Dec.16 and hopefully the epiderals for a week will help the post op stiffness from coming back. I will be sure to let everyone know what happens and hopefully they can keep my patella from breaking during manipulation! that's my big worry. :-[
THANKS AGAIN!
Sha
Complete ACL/MCL tears and bone contusion on lateral condyle 05/04/04
ACL reconstruction 07/05/04
broken patella(3 pieces) rebuilt 08/31/04
= arthrofibrosis and scar tissue removal via scope/manipulation 16/12/04

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 10:53:26 PM »
Hey there Sha

Sorry to hear your struggling.
As for the arthrofibrosis problem you have....it is a very difficult condition to deal with, and quite rare so not that many doctors/surgeons are aware of the CORRECT way to deal with it!!

I urge you to read this link which has some "experts" in the area who have (do) suffer(ed) from arthrofibrosis

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-bin/KNEEtalk/YaBB.pl?board=softtissue;action=display;num=1100018047

Heather M (I think?!) is particularly knowledgeable on the subject adn I urge you to read all three pages of posts....there is a goldmine of information there that you can learn from.

You dont say where you live or where your surgeon is based, but essentially it is importnat that they know arthrofibrosis WELL.
Many good surgeons won't do MUA...certainly they should NEVER be done closed...eg/ you should always have an arthroscopy first to remove and scrape away the bands of scar tissue before the surgeon then Gently manipulates the leg (which is now minus the blockage mostly) to help restore ROM.

Also post op treatment is VITAL and forcing your knee till tears come is NOT the way to fix the problem. Likewise...brutal physio to try and force ROM is counter productive too.

Like I say, you should have a read of that post and more on the "soft tissue" section of this site... a few links down from this "general" section.

I would find out exactly what they propse to do...and how adn seek 2nd or 3rd opinions if in doubt.

To answer your last qestion....it seems that where treated right some people with this problem do return to full activities...theres some about it on the first link I put in this post.

Good luck and keep posting
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,