Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question...  (Read 815 times)

Offline XxSkittlezxX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • My Myspace
Question...
« on: November 24, 2004, 05:10:01 AM »
I'm one week post op tomorrow, and I was wondering if it's unusual not to be in physical therapy yet.  I assume that he's going to put me into a program when I get my stitches out, but I could be wrong.  The doctor has been telling me to start bending it... and I've done that, I started out right away with about 20 degree's and have about 40 right now, I'm moving slowly, however... he says that I'll have around 90 by the time I get my stitches out?

Questions I'm asking...

Is it weird for me not to be in physical therapy yet.

Is bruising uncommon?

What about a burning foot?  

Thanks!
1/15/04 = ACL Rupture (fully torn)
11/17/04 = ACL Recon. Surgery

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • stupid knee!
Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 05:50:13 AM »
Hey XxSkittlezxX -

How are you feeling today? Pain getting better? I remember you having some problems earlier with your pain levels, I hope you're feeling better.

As for your questions, generally speaking, doctors like post-ACL reconstruction patients to start PT three days after the surgery. However, each protocol is different for each patient. If your doctor is taking a conservative route, then it's completely understandable that s/he'd not want you to start for a little bit. However, if another few days or even week goes by, I'd definitely ask the OS what is going on.

Are you in a CPM? If so, how often do you use it each day?

Bruising is NOT uncommon at all. Your body is going to react to having the surgery, your body has been through a lot of trauma (a reconstructive open surgery), and your knee/leg will be painful and bruised for quite some time. When I had my patellar tendon reconstruction in August, my entire knee and quad was bruised VERY badly. Three months later, my knee is STILL bruised! It does go away over time though, no worries :)

And as for your foot - what kind of pain is it? Does it feel like a cramp? I've had that before, and I've been told that it is very common to experience the burning sensation. What I did was I iced the area and the pain gradually went away. It's really irritating, but it does get better. You should let your OS know about it though.

Hope any of this helps!

Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

support