Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hello! I'm new here!  (Read 1714 times)

Offline myrtknee94

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Hello! I'm new here!
« on: November 23, 2004, 10:20:03 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Kristen and I am new here..but not new to knee problems!!

I had a sports injury to my rt. knee 10 years ago when I was 15.  I tore my ACL and my medial meniscus.  i underwent arthroscopy to basically just clean up my knee.  My ACL was never reconstructed.

Now, at 25 I am having some problems...more specifically arthritis and instability.

The OS would like to reconstruct and replace my medial meniscus.  They may also perform an osteotomy (this is the part that concerns me).

I had an MRI last week and there are 2 parts that concern and that I'm not so sure I understand what this may mean.

1.  "There is arthritic change in the medial compartment with erosion of the articular cartilage as well as the cortex of the medial femoral condoyle...the medial meniscus is blunted and foreshortened through the body and posterior horn."

~this sounds kind of bad is it??

Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated!!

~Kristen

2/94 ACL, Medial and Lateral Meniscus tears
3/94 Arthroscopy - debridement, partial
        medial menisectomy
1/05 ACL reconstruction w/ hamstrings, medial
        microfractures femur & tibia

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Hello! I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:47:47 PM »
Has your OS suggested trying an unloader brace before surgery to mimic the effects of the osteotomy?  This is sometimes done, and it will give you some indication if this surgery will help.  However, depending on the extent of your ACL instability, this might not work.  If you are nervous about what your OS is proposing, go and get a second opinion.  

Being a sports medicine professional, this is something that comes up alot with older athletes since ACL reconstructions were not the widely done years ago.  I would look into research and see if there is any on whether simply reconstructing and the ACL and repairing the meniscus will provide relief or if the osteotomy can be performed later if needed.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline myrtknee94

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Hello! I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:33:21 PM »
Thank you so much for your input!!

The OS seemed confident during the consultation that the meniscal transplant and ACL reconstruction would probably do the trick and that the osteotomy would be something to do down the road...

Today is my follow up appointment after the MRI and I guess I'll find out what they would like to do..

They get a little too excited when they talk about surgery..they are like kids at Christmas!!  It's like "Hello, there is a person attached to this knee your talking about!! Ya Know??

I'll post an update after my appointment..take care and thanks again!

~Kristen
        medial menisectomy

Offline myrtknee94

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Well, here's the deal
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 04:18:12 PM »
I went to the OS yesterday and he basically had nothing different to say from the last time.

He referred me to another Dr. within the practice.

It looks like they will be doing an ACL reconstruction, a meniscal transplant and an osteotomy.

Great...hurry up and wait...

Feeling a little discouraged/frustrated,

Kristen
        medial menisectomy