Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Knee Pain, MRI, Lat Men Tear vs ITB strain  (Read 4190 times)

Offline mrhudson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lateral Knee Pain, MRI, Lat Men Tear vs ITB strain
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:40:55 PM »
Good morning - I've been having some lateral knee pain for several months now following the very downhilly Reach The Beach relay in NH. An orthopod originally thought it was an ITB problem, but he waffled 3 weeks later and said that it might be a lateral meniscus tear. I've got an MRI scheduled, but I'm torn on keeping the appointment (personal cost = $1000). Anyone ever had experience with this differential diagnosis situation? The pain is off-and-on (feels fine today), but other mornings I wake up and feel a definite pain upon raising heel to glutes -- as in, keep thigh perpendicular to ground and raise heel to glute, putting some strain on the knee joint. Any advice? Other ways to tell the difference between the two? 29y/o male.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Lateral Knee Pain, MRI, Lat Men Tear vs ITB st
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 05:11:07 PM »
Do you have any mechanical symtpoms such as catching or clicking within the joint or does you knee ever lock up?  What about snapping on the outside of your knee?  How does it feel when you perform a deep squat.  Is there any difference when you sprint versus when you jog?
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline mrhudson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 05:30:45 PM »
I wouldn't say that there is profound clicking or popping. A series of ten deep squats produces tightness on the affected side, lateral above the knee joint (best I can tell). Not clearly located within the joint itself, and nothing that I would call pain. Again, the fact that my particular pain seems most likely to arise in the morning upon awakening, when muscles are tight, suggested to me more ITB than something more mechanical, but... As far as sprint versus jog, I have not been running for some time. I can try that later.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:36:28 PM »
It really does sound more like ITBFS rather than a meniscus tear.  The reason I asked about the running is that with ITBFS it will hurt more to jog than to sprint since the IT band is spending less time in the 30-45 degree impingment zone.  With a symptomatic mensicus tear the pain will increase with sprinting since there is more joint cycles per minute occuring placing increased stress on the mensicus.

You may want to get a second opinion before spending on the money on an MRI.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

support