Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hardware Removal  (Read 817 times)

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Hardware Removal
« on: November 22, 2004, 04:43:59 PM »
Hello,

I am having my screws removed from my TTT that was in June 03.

Just wondering what I should expect.

How was it for you?
How was the pain (if any)?
Did you need painkillers?
Did you need any assistance to walk?
How long did any after affects last?
and
Did you get to keep your screws?   8)

I ask because I will be getting my screws out soon and I have an infant at home and am wondering how much help (if any) I will need for the few days afterwards.  My daughter will be about 6 months at the time!

Thanks,
AC
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline cednsue

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Hardware Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:23:25 PM »
I had a TTT on my right leg in Oct.03 and just had one screw removed about 2 weeks ago.
They removed it in the doctor's office. I had an x-ray first. They used a shot of lidocaine to numb the site. Then with the OS, nurse and a physician's asst., they proceded to remove the screw. My leg was not numb though, so I had to ask for another shot! It took a while of digging because I had formed a thick shell of scar tissue over the tibia where the screw was.  :'(  I was given a prescription of percocet, and sent home walking out of the office!  They told me that I should put full weight on my leg and go about life as usual.  But what they said and what I did was two different things! When my husband got me home, I headed straight for the bed (using my cane) and I took 2 percocet!  For me, it was a painful experience, but I have read other posts on this website that have had good experiences.
Today I am still in pain and wondering if I should have had the "problem" screw removed. I don't want to sound pessamistic, but I think you should ask some questions before deciding on a removal! (And I did get the screw back the next week after it was steralized.)
Good luck! :)

Offline Jennie82

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Hardware Removal
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
I had my TTT in Nov. 2002 and just had my screws taken out in June of this year and it feels wonderful ;D

I was walking on it that day, I only had to take painpills until the next day and I was back to my normal daily grind on Monday (my surgery was on Friday)

For me it was no big deal...nothing like anything else I have had or that I am gonna have...it was a breeze!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Jennie
6 R. Knee surgeries. Car accident in 2001
Torn ACL,MCL,PCL
Dislocated kneecap, currently suffering from OA and awaiting hopefully what will be the final surgery....a TKR...at 22!!!

support