Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery on 26 Nov  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Jenr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Surgery on 26 Nov
« on: November 22, 2004, 12:22:55 AM »
I have posted this message under the specific knee problems section (possibly by mistake!- I think it should go in here I am not sure), but I am hoping that I can get some advice from this section.

I am beginning to get a bit nervous now,  I have been under my OS since January, and finally 2 weeks aqo he said that there was nothing else he could suggest for the constant pain in my right knee than allowing him to do an arthroscopy so that he sould see what the problem is.  He has mentioned that it could be a plica or possibly a meniscus tear that did not show up on the MRI.  My PT has also mentioned the plica but also that the OS may do a LR during the surgery.  I have basically signed a piece of paper which states that I agree with a Right Knee Arthroscopy and procedure, only I dont rightly know what they are going to do  

I have not been this nervous for a long time.  I hate to admit it but I am also a tiny (no maybe a big) bit scared.  I guess I would be ok if I had any idea what my OS was going to do during the scope!  I don't whether I am being stupid.  I am sure that it is not going to be that bad.  I just want to get it over and done with and hopefully be able to get on with things!

Thanks in advance for your help  ???

Offline Jenr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Surgery on 26 Nov
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:22:47 AM »
Thanks Danielle

I have already tried to get another appt tp no avail, the NHS is pretty busy! I was lucky to get this appt if not I would have to wait until Feb for treatment.

I have a couple of the answers to the questions you mentioned already throuhg a leaflet they gave me..

I will be getting a general and they will normally discharge between 3 & 4 fours after surgery, whether you get crutches is dependent on what they do.  They will not discharge you unless someone picks you up and stays with you for at least 24-48 hours.  I know nothing about PT, my PT says he doesn't want to see me for about 2 weeks

I am currently taking sodium diclofenic and tylex for the pain, but not sure whether they will give me anything else.  

They haven't said what will happen next if they do anything.  But the LR is simething my PT mentioned as he says that the muscle that runs from hip down (don't know what it is called) is very tight and is trying to pull my patella out of alignment, he didn't say anything about it being twisted.

Thanks for you help, I will try to speak to the OS if not maybe my PT, if I have no luck I will have to wait until fri and ask the questions then.

Thanks again

Offline luna

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 08:14:28 PM »
Hello,

My advice to you is to get as much info as possible beforehand. I have had a number of operations on my right knee having experienced ongoing pain that did not have any explination. My first operation was an arthroscopy just for further investigation.
Recovery after the operation was not too bad (considering other ops I have had) My main problem was tissue scaring in the holes they make with the camera but I found that regular massage of the area solved that problem and slight numbness on the side on my knee where some nerves were severed - nothing major.
I wish you all the luck with the op but make sure they tell you how successful they think the outcome will be. I had my knee cap removed as they never found what the problem was and am now worse off from having it done.

Offline hondacrazy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I REALLY Knee'd to get back playing soccer!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 11:08:49 PM »
Hi there, I know exactly how you feel! Last March after numerous PT sessions I went to an OS and because I wanted to be healed before my football season started in May I agreed for him to do a scope without an MRI or any questions - I feel that it was a big mistake on my part - after 2 scopes they still dont know whats catching my kneecap and I have just received a steroid injection into the joint today as a last resort..I feel all this came about coz I didnt ask questions and I should have had an MRI in the first place.  I know its costly but trust me, I was in a lot of pain before I agreed to surgery - but if I knew then what I know now, I would make surgery a very real last resort- or at least find out exactly what he is looking for or a clearer definition of what he thinks it is.  The scope itself isnt too bad, to be honest that was the easy part! just make sure you give yourself enough rest afterwards and dont rush back into anything! Best of Luck!  
Claire :-)
Torn & blistered cartilage in Right knee - 2 scopes Apr & Sept 04
Cortizone injection Dec 04 (RK) Jan 05 (LK)

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 01:43:17 AM »

Hi there Jenr

I know what you mean about the NHS being busy and tricky to get an appointment with...the OS' are so busy that some make it a sort of "well if you want to feel better just be quiet and let me do my job" affair......which is franky not good enough at all.
After all they don't have to go home and live with the knee or other body part after the surgery do they  ;)

Anyway...back to what you PT said about you may have a Lateral Release....it is VITAL for your future well being that you have it in writing what the OS will/wont do.....(you will get a talk to the surgeon and anaesthetist before surgery normally).
A lot of surgeons are very slap happy about doing a LR as it is such an easy procedure to do.....however it can ONLY be of any use to  help lateral patellar maltracking.....and then only certain types that don't involve other mechanics in the knee.
Otherwise a LR can create FAR more problems than the patient had to start with as it changes the whole mechanics of the knee in quite a big way.

There are numerous people on this board who have had the procedure for the wrong reason and now have far more probs than they did......and it cannot be reversed unfortunately.Just search this site for LR topics or look through the "maltracking" section.

For the RIGHT reason a LR can really help the patient but I would urge you to see exactly what the OS thinks your problem is...how he/she knows it is that  and what surgery they are actually proposing.....if it just your pt speculating then the OS may have no plans at all to do a LR but read up on it in case and plan for any eventuality.

All the best
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

support