Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR and TKR REVISION , Lump in Quad  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
TKR and TKR REVISION , Lump in Quad
« on: November 21, 2004, 05:51:21 AM »
Well, it has now been 6 weeks since the revision one year after my total knee on the left. UNFORTUNATELY, the entire leg is swollen from the ankle to the hip. It is also a slightly different color. THE knee tolerates me walking , sometimes with a limp, and makes it through PT, but when I am resting with it up it really hurts, and at night it keeps me awake, as the pain mounts. IN FACT< the entire leg goes numb at night and I have to move it with my hands to turn it over. I also noticed about 3 weeks ago, I was having trouble keeping my clog shoes on my left foot when I walk, (I have worn clogs since the 1970's and as a nurse) the knee swells like crazy, and is popping and clunking, and IF I step forward with that left leg, it gives away, as it did before hand ( THE OS SAID THEN IT WAS MY BODYS WAY OF PROTECTING ME FROM PAIN) AT my appt, this week, he said that he thought the foot, and numbness thing was  from my back. BUT the femur is killing me in the thigh and the tibia hurts like crazy. ON TOP of this, I developed the big , thick areas of scar tissue lateraly and a ridge aroung the circumference of the knee.; BUT notice today, that more poor quad , that really hates to bend, has a huge lump right in the center about 1 1/2 inches about theknee right under the incicion site. REMEMBER that the OS cut and sewed this together twice in a year . I know that causes it to shorten, but never had this lump before, and the pain is intence, and increaces with any pressure. ANYBODY have these or similar symptoms with TKR. MY incision is the same, as he cut out the old scar, about a 9 or 10 inch incision straight down the center of the knee. HELP much appreciated, or anybody with similar happenings Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: TKR and TKR REVISION , Lump in Quad
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:52:04 AM »
Teresa,

From the description of having a lump in the quad area above the knee, I had three things pop into my mind:  pre-patellar bursitis, bulging out of intra-articular swelling at the supra-patellar pouch (a known weak area in the capsule), or a ruptured quad tendon.  That last one really is something scary, but the people who have ruptured this tendon and wrote about it on this board all described the lump you are talking about.  It is apparently caused by the tendon curling back on itself once the tension is released.

Just a few thoughts.

Heather

PS Do you have a lawyer yet?
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: TKR and TKR REVISION , Lump in Quad
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 06:52:08 PM »
Heather, I thought about it rupturing, as it has been cut for the tkr and then sewn together, and then he cut that region out again, for the revision, and then sewed it together, again, thus, most likely, shortening it, as it really does not want to bend. I did have an MRI several months before the revison, and at that time, the radiologist, who is in a private MRI in his own practice actually sits down with the patients immediaely after the MRI and uses the films to go over it with you., TOLD me that my quad, at that time , was extremely wide, and probably had tendinitis, all the way to and including patella tendinitis. He showed me another film of a "normal quad" and it looked like it was the size of a pencil lead, and mine was the size of a finger, for comparison. MY OS told him NO< that it looked like that because that is where he had cut and sewn it. The radiologist added that to the report but kept his own diagnosis also.  The PT that I have now is going to have to change, as it is that old I come in and they watch and count. and my leg definitely needs the interaction, where the therapist WORKS and helps loosen up, massage, stretch, etc.   I'll see to that on Monday.  I did contact Toni, and am waiting for her response. THanks, Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support