Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee cap removal  (Read 2250 times)

Offline luna

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee cap removal
« on: November 20, 2004, 01:20:49 PM »
4yrs ago I had my right knee cap removed following a series of operations to try to reduce my knee pain. I am now in constant pain with a severe loss of muscle in the thigh area. All of the consultants I have seen following the operation have advised me that this operation should not have been performed. I am concerned that other people experiencing unknown knee pain may also be offered this operation and I would advise them to seriously think about it as before, although in pain, I was able to do sports. Now I can't.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Knee cap removal
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 08:05:11 PM »
Luna,

I'm really sorry you experienced the negative consequences of patellectomy.  A couple of times a year (this month there have been three) people come on asking about this option that they have been offered by their surgeons.  You will find several people on here that have had this done, and they are always honest in urging the potential patellectomy patient to reconsider.

If you use the search feature to look up patellectomy and patella removal, you will find people who know exactly what you are going through. I was also offered this as an option, but dismissed it out of hand.

You may also want to look up the posts by NJDan (or NJ Dan, can't remember which), as he had a patellectomy after car vs. cyclist accident.  Last year he finally found a doctor who would do a knee replacement on him, and I believe he's doing very well now...he's no longer posting here!  So that might be an option for you.  Unfortunately, it's well-documented that patellectomy patients experience tibio-femoral arthritis from having the tendons that used to attach to the kneecap rub relentlessly on the bone.  That would make a partial knee replacement an option.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline NIFFTYJULIE

• Regular Poster
  • hi my name is  JULIE
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 12:41:30 PM »
Hello,
     I also had my knee cap removed,,but I had mine removed when I was 19 and I am now 48.
I still had problems with my leg so 2yrs ago they did a total knee replacement and that has made it even worse than it was.I am due to go into hospital in the next 2 weeks for yet another operation,as they told me because the knee cap was removed a long time ago the total knee replacement was'nt like it should have been because you really need your knee cap to hold the knee replacment firmer in place.
So I really do know how you feel.I take 600mg of tablets morphine and also I drink 300ml of oramorph in a week.
I have told them last week I really cant take much more .I dont sleep at  night I cant walk on it,also it is so weak from all the operation the leg will never get strong again.
So I understand all to well how you are suffering.If there is anything I can do or say to help you please  ask because  I have been going thro this since I was a teenager.I am not sure what they will do this time and being truthful I am afraid of the out come.But there might be some thing I have learned over the years that might help you.All so keep your chin up you are not alone which untill I found this site I thought I was.I had to have my knee cap removed because it was rotton but had I have known what I know today I am sure  I would'nt have let them mess with it.Belive me I have paid private  and I am still not walking and the pain is so unbearable it brings me to tears.
Anyway please if there is anything I can help you with dont be afraid to ask.
Also please try to keep smiling  :) I know its hard but its the only thing that has kept me going over the years.

Julie
m name is julie and i love animals music and game's and i wouldnt be with out my pc.

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 08:11:49 PM »
Hi Julie,

Did you say 600mg of morphine? Or did you mean 60? I, too had my patellas removed at age 19. I'm 42 and am in chronic pain. I take  60 mg of MS-Contin ER (time released) and 30mg of the straight morpine 1 every 8hrs. It doesn't last 8 hrs but it's a new med for me and I don't know if he'll increase that yet. It lasts 3-4 hrs and that part is heaven. I'm wondering what kind of surgery they'll do on you. I've been told there is NOTHING that can be done for me, as my arthritis isn't bad enough to replace the joint. I'm not bone on bone and they can't imagine where my pain might be coming from. And no one wants to find out. My quads KILL me and I would be thrilled to get that under control. I wear lidoderm patches 12 hrs a day, and that's some help. Hang in there, and let me know what surgery they'll be doing. I can walk on both legs and have good ROM so no one is really concerned about my pain (except my pm doc). The OS's don't want to touch me.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline NIFFTYJULIE

• Regular Poster
  • hi my name is  JULIE
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 09:13:03 PM »
Yes I take 600mg of morphine daily and also oramoph,
I have just had another op came home last week they also took a biopsy from my knee and I am awaiting the results.
I have pain from the knee down the back of the leg into my heel plus down the front of the leg and in the knee.
I still dont know what its like to go to sleep at night I am on yahoo all night.So I really do understand pain.
m name is julie and i love animals music and game's and i wouldnt be with out my pc.

Offline BobbyBee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
I had both kneecaps removed when I was in my mid-twenties, following an RTA. The pain is unbelievable and I can only walk on crutches. I snapped the tendon followng a simple stumble and that is irrepairable due to the stretched tendon following the KC removal. The pain goes from my ankle to my hip and restricts even driving, as I have to rest every hour at best. I cannot understand how this is still a viable option offered by surgeons - it's barbaric. The pain is so bad I've even discussed amputation with my GP. I'm 54 now and can't imagine how bad this pain will eventually get. TKR is out of the question and a wheelchair appears to be the long term prognosis. I'm also on large doses of morphine, but the relief is minimal. If anybody is seriously considering this proceedure, please, think again. When the IRA used kneecapping as punishment, they knew what they were doing! This is life-long suffering and should be - in my humble opinion - outlawed. For anybody who's already had it done, I'm afraid I can offer no comfort - it just gets worse the older you get.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Do check the date of the first and last post in a thread before posting - you've just bumped a 7year old thread!  ::)

If you want to post something on this topic, there are places where you can post success stories if that is what you want to say. Or if your experience is not a success one, then start a new thread in the General area and see if you can get any help or tips.

;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline BobbyBee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »
i put this on because I was thinking of anybody who comes on in the future looking for advice - which I thought was the point of the blog. Nobody should have to go what I - and clearly others - have gone through. I was simply backing up what others had to say. I wouldn't want anybody to think that the major problems Niftyjulie suffered were a one off!! This is life changing surgery - I had a life, now I don't.

Solar Cycles

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
I would never recommend having a patellectomy no matter how bad you feel things are. I had my left patella removed 24 years ago, and have had nothing but problems since then. Sure you learn to adapt, but as you get older those problems with stability and pain increase tenfold and by that time finding a surgeon who'll touch you is nigh on impossible.

support