Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PNVS)  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Polly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PNVS)
« on: November 19, 2004, 03:00:23 AM »
Having been treated for sero neg rheumatoid arthritis for the last 3 years I developed,despite bi-monthly aspirations,continued swelling in my left knee.  Last month I had an arthroscopy and have been diagnosed with PNVS which, I believe is a rare condition, does anyone know anything about it?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PNVS)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 05:14:34 PM »
Hey !!

If you go up the side and go in at general info you find the google seek. If you seek on the whole name and search at www not Kneeguru you can find good info about this condition and how you can treat it.
I wish you good luck.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 11:29:26 PM »
Polly,

I've never heard of this condition, though I have what is sometimes called hypertrophic synovium or inflammatory synovitis or arthrofibrosis...I just call it scar tissue...I was wondering if you have had any knee procedures done besides the exploratory scope?  Or any potential injury that could cause your body to turn on an inflammatory healing response?  I've been tested for RA, Lupus, and a whole host of other auto-immune problems.  Turns out my problems were 100% mechanical, and only 'auto-immune' in as much as my immune system completely over-reacted to the trauma of surgery.  My original OS told me he had never seen so much scar tissue in his entire career as I had in my knee following a 'simple scope.'

Anyway, I'm really sorry that you're dealing with such a rare condition.  My scar tissue problem is also very rare.  It's incredibly frustrating to see a new doctor (from the Mayo Clinic, for crying out loud) and have to explain to him what my condition is, what it means, how it affects me, that no one really understands why....

I did a quick google search, and the number of hits was totally pathetic...four of them.  But one hit might be helpful to you--it's a health bulletin board, and a member there is directing a person with a new diagnosis of PNVS to another board.  Maybe this will help you?

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum126/HTML/003163.html

I wish you the best.  You might want to look up some posts by Lucy C., as she has synovitis and has gone through a lot of treatments.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Polly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:58 PM »
Thanks to Nettan and Heather M, I really do appreciate your helpful responses, I will check out the sites you suggested and, hopefully, get more information.

Wishing you both back to health soonest.

Big hugs
Polly

support