Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tendon release/quad lengthening  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Sarahreindeer12

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Tendon release/quad lengthening
« on: November 18, 2004, 05:38:33 AM »
It has been 6 months since my last operation (scar tissue removal and readiation).  I have had no scar tissue re-form in my knee replacement.  However, due to my leg being stuck inone position for so long, my quads shortened up.  I have been in PT with prolonged stretching three days a week and my husband also stretches me each night.  I have gone from 92 degrees to 105 by myself and the PT can stretch me to 117.  However, I am still in a lot of pain (even morphine doesn't eliminate the pain).  What do any of you know about a tendon release/which would lengthen my quad?  Does scar tissue also reform on muscle tissue?  How painful is the procedure and how effective?  Thank you!  Sarah

Offline pblevy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Tendon release/quad lengthening
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »
My wife also had a TKR and has experenced scar tissue in the muscle. In fact her quads are sticking to the bone surfaces as well. She has had 3 procedures to try to aliviate these symptoms to no avail. I don't know anything about the tendon release but my wife did have a liagament release that did help some.

Offline Sarahreindeer12

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 05:07:45 AM »
Can  you explain the procedure that your wife had?  I am trying to learn more about it and to see if it is even a viable option.  Did you wife have radiation after the quad lengthening?  May I ask why she had to have 3 surgeries?  Thank you!  Sarah

Offline pblevy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 07:58:36 PM »
Unfortunately for my wife she has had 7 surgeries in the last two years. She had a TKR in June of 03 as a result of a staff infection from an athroscopic procedure done in Aug of í02. She is unfortunately one of the people you read about on this board who has a severe over reaction to the surgeries and produces a ton of scar tissue. The last procedure that she has was a revision to her TKR (they changed the patella component). The DR. also did a lateral release and cleaned out as much scar tissue as he could. In addition her quads stick to the bone surface to he tried to release that as well. Because we did not follow the protocols that have been suggested by Heather and others on this board she is right back where she started. Her ROM is o to 90 and that is it. She did not have the radiation you mentioned and that is something we are going to look into. Before going back into surgery I would make very sure that you donít have a scar tissue issue. Most DRís donít know what they are looking for.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 08:17:22 AM »
I just  had a revision in October, and MY knee is so tight I can barely move it though I work on it daily. MY surgeon actually cut through the quad tendon, and then sewed it back for the tkr and then again for the revision. I discovered a lump under the incision this weekend. I massaged it and it has gotten better. The therapist told me he didn't think they cut the quad/patella tendon but I read my reports and he did both times. HE Told me the passive therapy would be most helpful at this point, because that quad is so tight , so short, and really, literally feels like it is pulling th upper ,outer part of my knee down do the tibia. It is so painful and keeps me up allnight. ON TOP OF THAT< there is such excessive swelling in the entire leg, that it feel like it could explode. I only get 85 -90 with some help, but after he did that deep, painful ,(that you have to bit you tongue) massage, it got to about 95 which is the best that I have had. HE also happened to be one of those therapists that I really appreciate, because I can tell by the firmness and strength of their hands they will have positive effects on my knee. Let me know if you figure out a procedure or plan to lengthen or strengthen the quad . Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR† ,† Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 10:56:35 AM »
Sarah,

I haven't heard of the procedure you're talking about.  But I was reading your post, and Teresa's, and wondering if you might really see the benefits of a very specialized massage technique developed by Ida Rolf.  It's called Rolfing, and it's a structural realignment and fascial release technique.  Rolfers do very specialized training and this is way more than deep tissue work.  I did less than 10 sessions and had the problems in my neck, back, hips, glutes, and IT band pretty much completely resolved.  I've only started having real tightness and trouble again in the last few months, and the 10 sessions were about 2 years ago.  It's an amazing technique, and when combined with acupuncture and physical therapy modalities like phonophoresis, it really made me forget about my knee for hours at a time.  I'm very seriously considering going back to it, even if it means the hunt and search for a new therapist in my new town.  It is critical to see the right Rolfer--they are people, just like PT's or doctors, and some of them may not work well with your problem.  But it's very worth your while, IMO, to look up some practitioners of this art form.  

Do a search on Rolfing or Rolfers or Rolf* on this web page--I think I put a link on page three or so of this section, and there is a state by state search feature on that page to locate practitioners in your area.  

A related technique is called Heller work--very similar, with the goal of lengthening fascial restrictions and loosening up scar tissue.  Look it up on google; you'll find lots of stuff because Joseph Heller was a student of Rolf massage and then left to found his own school (insert scandalized gasp here ;-) )

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell