Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plug question??  (Read 1513 times)

brattkids2

Plug question??
« on: November 14, 2004, 08:50:45 PM »
I know this may sound dumb  but is there supposed to be pain from the donor plug site????

My first OATS was with an experimental synthetic material and I did not need plugs from my own body. A portion of the synthetic material did not set correctly due to the size of the lesion and on thursday I had traditional plugs taken from the trochlar (sorry about spelling??) knotch to fill in the rest of the area.  It hurts and I was wondering if this was normal??

thanks for any help

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Plug question??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 06:19:37 PM »
 Hi Paulette,

Yes, it is normal.  I had the same thing and my OS said it is completely normal.  The achiness came and went for a while but at this point it is gone.  
If you think about it...it should hurt a bit.  They are actually breaking a bit of the bone to use for the plug.
I wouldnt worry about it too much.  I'm sure the pain will subside as the bone heals.  

Take care,
Kathleen  
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

brattkids2

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 07:37:34 PM »
Kathy,

thanks  I thought that it was normal but other times I think things are normal they turn out to be huge boo boo's. I feel better now.

please let me know how your surgery goes!!

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 07:46:30 PM »
Paulette,

No problem.  The funny thing was that after a while the donor site was the only place that I had pain.  It kind of lingered for a little while but it is definately normal.  I have read that some people continue to experience problems from the donor site but for most it fades as the bone heals.  

I was thinking about you yesterday.  Just wondering how you were holding up.  Were they able to redo it with the scope or did they have to open you up?  Oh, and how many plugs did it take to fix what didnt heal right?

Hope you are doing ok.
Kathleen
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja