Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Brace  (Read 4068 times)

Offline estogirl696

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Life free...Live happy...
ACL Brace
« on: November 13, 2004, 11:56:23 PM »
Hey, this is my first post.  I had surgery on my ACL and my minuscus a little over a month ago.  Everything is going great, but i am already looking for a brace because i am going to back to full contact sports at a little over 4 months.  Does any body have any opinions on what they think is a good brace?  I need it for basketball.

Thanks!
19 yr old female
Tore ACL and miniscus (left knee) Sept '04
Recon surgery October '04
*Played again at 4 months*

Miniscus and partial ACL tear (right knee) Dec. '06

College Varsity Basketball

Offline sha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • MY DAMN KNEE!
Re: ACL Brace
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 04:28:30 AM »
Hey Estogirl! I am a University basketball player in Canada and I have also had my ACL repaired (july 5/04) Unfortunately I can't return to ball because I broke my patella nearly 2 months after my repair and had to go back into surgery. I want to tell you to be careful about returning before you are ready..basketball is a very hard sport on the knees and female basketball players are the most at risk for injury. My patella broke very easily with a non contact fall because it was still weak from my graft. If you are playing anytime soon make sure you wait 6 months for sure and playing with a brace is a good idea. I recommend a Don Joy ACL brace you can get standard ones,as I have, for about $400 Canadian, or custom fit ones that can range around $1500 plus. Alot of players only wear a brace for the first 6 months to a year and then it should not be needed because the graft should actually be stronger than a real ACL. Best of luck and I hope you can get back healthy...I know what it's like to sit out ;)
Sha
Complete ACL/MCL tears and bone contusion on lateral condyle 05/04/04
ACL reconstruction 07/05/04
broken patella(3 pieces) rebuilt 08/31/04
= arthrofibrosis and scar tissue removal via scope/manipulation 16/12/04

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 03:49:08 AM »
I would not recommend Donjoy braces especially for a female basketball player.  They work well for football since the players are not in constant motion, but even when the fit is perfect there can be calf problems, sometimes serious.  The hinges are also not comfortable, and feel very unnatural.  I would suggest any one of the Townsend braces such as the Premier or Rebel depending on if your need a custom brace or if an off the shelf will do.  I use these with all my athletes and have had great sucess.  They are also used by a large majority of D1 schools.  They are far superior to the DJ brace line.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline soccertears22

• Regular Poster
  • smile :)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 05:06:05 PM »
yeah my doc got  me the DJ acl brace..and I really dont like it..it crams the back of my leg every single game..and its def hard to play in.. I am looking to change it , and so are my coaches ... ATsoccergirl.. what do u think will work for soccer? its been over a year since surgery ..the doc  wants me to wear the brace for another year..but its seriously messing up my game..specialy now that I am in high school season..any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:07:15 PM by soccertears22 »
ToRRi <3
 Toren acl & mcl plus damaged cartalege and brused bone..
HOW: got tacled by my own goaly during a soccer game :P

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 05:15:24 PM »
Same thing as I suggest for Basketball, either the Townsend Premier or Townsend rebel.  However, it does make a difference whether you are a goalkeeper or a fieldplayer.  I have always played both so I have two different braces.  I have the lighter Townsend Premier for when I'm in the field.  It's an awesome brace, and I almost forget I'm wearing it.  When I'm in goal I wear a full shell orginal townsend brace.  This is a heavy brace, but it offers a lot of protection and is ment to stand up to the heavy diving and contact it will experiance.  

Townsend braces have an anterior tibial shell as compared to the posterior shell which the Donjoy braces have.  I find the anterior shell much more comfortable and it's easier to keep the brace up.  I have played in a Donjoy brace, and I ended up with a very serious case of posterior compartment syndrome which made me take 5 months off of soccer at the end of my sophmore college season.  You may have to modify your shin guards slightly or get smaller ones since they could interfere with the brace.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline soccertears22

• Regular Poster
  • smile :)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:24:49 PM »
thanks AT. I was looking at the braces..but the rebel looks like the smaller brace ...am I wrong here?

so do u think its worth making the change? is there a big difference?

I have a little less than a year to go with the brace according to my doc.

I dont think my  insurence will pay for it though :-/..so that not too good
ToRRi <3
 Toren acl & mcl plus damaged cartalege and brused bone..
HOW: got tacled by my own goaly during a soccer game :P

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:57:34 PM »
The two Townsend braces are about the same size, but the premier is lighter weight.  I noticed a huge difference between the Townsend braces and my donjoy brace.  I was able to move better in the townsend brace.  If your brace is affecting your play, I would suggest switching braces.  I would check with your insurance company first and see what they would cover.  I know mine will pay for a new sports brace every year, but it can really vary.  If you OS says it is medically necessary your insurance company would have to cover it.

support