Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Re: Joint hypermobility  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: Joint hypermobility
« on: November 17, 2002, 01:28:12 AM »
M,
I am a Hypermobile. I have HMS (Hypermobility Syndrome or maybe even Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type). Yes HMS can cause chronic joint pains amonst many many other things.
The main things to control HMS are PT to strenghten the surrounding muscles (as HMS and other Hypermobility disorders are a genetic problems in the connective tissue/collagen of the body) but not stretch the joint etc. Pain releif, Bracing as needed etc. If you wish I can give you some web site with great informaiton on  HMS or BJHS (benign joint hypermobility syndrome). Not all Hypermobiles have pain or other problems (i personally can dislocate/ sublux anthing from jaws to tows (and do  :o )
Hope this helps, Let me know is you wish MORE informatiin as I have quite a lot. (I was diagnosed (sort of ) FINALLY last August. It only took them 31 years
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Stacey

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2002, 07:32:26 AM »
Hi M

I too am Hypermobile.  i have found that you just have to try things and see if it agrevates your joints.  For me its all pretty much trial and error.  Also be consious of how you stand/sit/lie etc to make sure your not bendign the wrong way as this will help.  Wehn exerciseing my PT told me to include the wrong way bend into my ROM and not to try adn not hyperextend.  Sorry if that didnt makes sense its late here lol
« Last Edit: November 17, 2002, 07:34:13 AM by Stacey »

Helen_uk

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 05:53:06 PM »
I have hm and suffer from chronic joint pain as a result, although I am not as mobile now as I used to be but still alot more than normal folk would be.
I dislocate or sublux and have had corrective surgery to my shoulders succesfully and to my knees.... but not as sucessfull.
My fingers hips knees ankles neck and shoulders are the joints taht have been most affected and the pain can lay me up for days when I get a flare up.
I just have to go to bed and rest because the inflamation can make me very stiff.
Take care and keep warm
H xxx ;)

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 06:32:37 AM »
Hi M,
 Do a search on Marfan's syndrome and see if that may apply to you.  Its a disease of the connective tissue.  That's one of the things my rheumy is testing me for.  Its very rare, and hard to diagnose, but than with these "weird disorders" what isn't.  

I wish you all the luck on getting help!

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 07:55:54 AM »
rhea,
you said you are being tested for Marfan's I hope you are also being tested for Ehlers Danlos (as rare but unless you have type 4 not as life threatning as Type 4 or Marfan's). HMS is thought to possibly be EDS 3 by some. Marfan's also has a VERY typical body type (ie. VEry tall, very slender, set body proportions, ling thin (spinder like0 fingers ) etc. and alos being checked for HMS too. And rhea you can have JRA and HMS Look at me I have had HMS since birth and JRA since 12 until about 20 somthing. It still shows up in my blood as an increased CRP and sometimes ANA too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2002, 08:00:55 AM by Shazinoz »
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 02:55:09 PM »
I would have to be in as a member of the Worldwide Weird Body Club  ;D (WWBC's unite LOL ).
I have a family history of Hypermobility in hindsight(since my diagnosis) and also a bad family history of autoimmune disorders (mainly SLE, Sjogrens, cryoglobulanaemic vasculitis) and things like Ulcerative colitis, asthma, eczema, cancer, Athritis, Raynauds (I have had this since I was  at least 12 and my Mum had a number of fingers amputated because of it  :o).
Personally in addition to My RSD and HMS I am also an asthmatic (mainly allergic), have numerous allergies (everything from strapping tape and soap to antibiotics and some painkillers), eczema, am HLA B27+, had JRA, Have weird optic nerves (they are in the wrong spot and look like I have glaucoma but I don't), Very sensitive skin, IBS, Migraines, a tendency to stretch and tear ligaments (part of HMS ?), a heart murmur (trivial mitral valve regurgitation and increased peak flow across the aorta) supposed is common in HMS/EDS, get bad chest infections, sinus infections etc, a tendency to bruise and scar easily (again HMS), a lot of joint pains, soft tissue rheumatism (ie. tendonitis, tenosynovitis etc ) (again HMS), a blown apart left knee (2 ACL reco's so far and a 3rd imminent if I can get a OS to even look at it + MCL and possibly more this time), frequent and almost total body subluxations and dislocations (agian the lovely HMS), CMP, eyes that are VERY sensitive to light and more I can think of now.

;) ::) :o :(  ::) :o  :-[  ::) :o :'(  ::) :o ???  ::) :o  :-/  ::) :o  >:(  ::) :o :) ::) :o ;D

So I think I qualify for the WWBC  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2002, 02:55:47 PM by Shazinoz »

support