Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Clue less  (Read 1424 times)

Offline wedgie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Clue less
« on: November 15, 2002, 08:31:42 PM »
hello all, please help!!
a regular runner and former Royal marine my knees have suffered some abuse I know but things were going well until about 3 years ago when i started to have pain below the knee cap This would come on from time to time and didn't stop activities too much. Then last year i had a fall on a night out (enough said) the next day i ran and low and behold big problems started. One physio diagnosed runners knee and taped me. I then completed a x country further agrevating the condtion. I couldn't walk without a limp and didn't dare run. resigned, i went to another physio who stopped activities altogether.
Meanwhile I attended the doctors and was refered to an excellent surgeon. After about 2 months I had stated back loading my running up. still getting decent twinges from time to time which required rest i.c.e. etc.
My arthroscopy loomed and I hoped that it would be the end or the beginning of the end of my problems. I had it in march, it found a micro-fracure to the knee cap and general roughness. I followed the advice of the physios and surgeon loaded back very gently. After about 2 months of regular running using the 10% loading I was feeling confident and without pain but still unfit. Then out of the blue back came the pains. Both under my knee cap and now at the sides, i rested and they seemed to go again. They are particarly bad when pulling up sharp or on decents (hill sessions). Recently I explained the problems to the consultant who explained that without specific pain spots then it was difficult to diagnose the problem. He stated that they may be just niggles and invited me back if the problems persisted. I ran a race the other day. On the following day I had pains either side of the knee, which felt like little pulls. Rested i then tried another run 2 days later but now i have increased pain througout and most significantly to where the shins joins. I've resigned myself to another frustrating period and have booked Physio. The pain shifts from time to time so i know its a long shot but can anybody help me get back doing what I love doing and run. many thanks for taking time to read this.

Offline wedgie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Clue less
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 08:09:40 PM »
thanks sue

support