Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: bad knees  (Read 734 times)

Offline delboy_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
bad knees
« on: November 09, 2004, 07:21:35 AM »
hi all

my problem is that i get strong ache`s in both knees,not always at the same time,sometimes its so strong that it will keep me awake at night(ie tonight)

im 34 and have had this since i was a child,not one to go to the doctors i have just  learned to live with it.
but in the last month i have noticed my knees have started burning,i can even feel heat coming from them which has caused me to get slighty concerned.

i have searched a few websites etc to try and find out what the problem might be,but theres so many different
causes that im a bit confused as to what it could be.

can anyone shed some light ?
or should i go to see my doctor(if hes still alive)

derek...

have just found this post which is exactly what i have..

Hi! Okay, so here's my situation: I've had anterior knee pain several times a week ever since I can remember (I'm almost 24). Both knees are affected. The pain is extremely severe about once every 10 days; otherwise, it's mild or moderate. The pain is deep in the soft tissue/ligaments or whatever it is that cushions the area between the femur and tibia. I have full range of movement, and once it starts hurting, it doesn't matter if I bend it, walk on it, run on it... it's always the same amount of pain. However, I'm more likely to have knee pain if I've been doing a lot of walking or running that day, or if I've sat with my knees bent (cross-legged) for a period of time. The pain is usually only in one knee at a time, and usually occurs in the evening or at night.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 07:33:03 AM by delboy_uk »

Offline delboy_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: bad knees
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 07:26:38 AM »
just thought i would add that a few times when i was younger my knees used to just give way on me (ie walking up stairs one knee would just give on me) not sure if this is part of the problem,although this hasnt happened for some years.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: bad knees
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 09:24:58 AM »
No one can diagnose you via the internet--even a doctor.  You have to go see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees.  There is a link to a list of surgeons in the upper right corner of this page.  Find one in your area and go in for diagnostic testing and a consult if the knee issues are impacting your life.

Just to give you some ideas, the heat your describe in your knees could be a by-product of inflammation or swelling.  It can happen when there is something wrong inside your knee, and your body is trying to rush a healing response to the region--so it gets swollen or inflamed and can actually feel hot.  That's one possibility that goes along with the other symptoms you described.

The knee giving way again could be several things--muscle weakness, protective reaction of the body to painful stimulus, kneecap not tracking correctly or slightly going out of the joint (subluxing vs dislocation, where the kneecap goes completely out of joint).

Pain that increases with activity could be a couple of things, from damaged cartilage to overuse injury to tendinitis to...only a doctor can say for sure.  However, the pain when seated or when legs are bent is called the theater sign or movie-goers sign.  It's an indication that there may be some degeneration of the articular cartilage that coats the back of the kneecap and the other bones in the joint.

Here's a good introduction to the general diagnosis of 'patello-femoral pain syndrome' which is essentially knee pain due to poor knee mechanics.  Usually this can be corrected through specialized physical therapy that strengthens the muscles around the joint and helps take some of the pressure off of it.  Since you've had this since you were a child, this is likely the place to start--poor knee mechanics, badly tracking patellae, and in general PFS.
http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/pate/overview.asp

If your knees are mal-aligned long enough or badly enough, this can cause premature wear and tear on the cartilage in the joint.  See this link for further, detailed information:
http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

So activities that put pressure on the kneecap like stairs, sitting with legs bent, impact sports like running or basketball--all these can cause further pain.  If the cartilage starts to become damaged, it will usually manifest itself as pain on the above activities and actual softening and even cracking of the cartilage.  This is generically called chondromalacia, though doctors are moving away from this term and using ones like 'chondral lesions' or 'chondral defects.'  If it progresses far enough, you can end up with osteo-arthritis.  However, you can also get this as you age--it's perfectly normal.

Anyway, I'm not trying to diagnose you or anything, it's just that the symptoms you describe are often seen in people with chondral damage, PFS, mal-alignment, etc.  However, other things can cause symptoms of recurring knee pain, and so you have to be evaluated by a professional.

Hope some of this information helps.  You can look up keywords on this web page:  chondromalacia, chondral damage or defect, mal-alignment, PFS/patello-femoral syndrome, anterior knee pain, mal-tracking kneecaps, subluxation, etc.  Once you have an understanding of knee anatomy, mechanics, and potential issues, you can see an orthopedic surgeon and have a meaningful discussion with him/her about your problems.

Heather
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 09:25:58 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell