Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long  (Read 1038 times)

Offline risky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Smile lifes 2 short to worry about the little bits
How long
« on: November 07, 2004, 02:08:51 AM »
HI all just been given a date to go into hospital to have ACL rebuild and a look about to see nothing else is up.  I come from the UK and was wondering how long they keep you in hospital after the op all i now is that its not getting done in day sug :(
( going in on 15th dec so want out for xmas ) . Also is their any other martial arts people out their that has had this done and how quickly did you manage to get back to it adn did yous lose alot of flexability.
cheers
LCL partly torn cattliage removed

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: How long
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »
Hey risky

I was a very serious martial artist (WAS) i was plannibg great things as i trained 12 hours 7 days a week that was until i tore my acl. I carried on training and my knee gave way every lesson til i just couldnt cope. The problem was i was too scared that my knee would give way. So i lost all confidence, so it'll take a while for me to rebuild it. Hopefully you didnt do the same as me and not go to the hospital or doc. I tore it when i was 16 and im 18 now.

I had my acl reconstructed 12 days ago and was in hospital for 4 days. The average is 3 - 5 days.

I still stretch every day but my flexibility is alot less as its not stretched through kicks.

It will be at least 6 months before you could return and do not pvot kicks, my physio told me around 12 months before i could return fully.

All the best

Offline risky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 08:30:41 PM »
Cheers I thought i would be out the next day :(. I teach martial arts so im their every day As it kept giving way during teching i thought it best to have it fixed I sat my third dan with it straped up and managed to pass with high marks but by the end my knee was twice the size but luckly all the hard training is now over but some folk told me i would be out for 18 months which is like a life sentance. How is your knee doing now?

cheers risky

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 12:03:15 AM »
its still pretty swollen but i managed to bend past 90 degrees today YAY, at the moment i just cant imagine walking properly ever again ... its like i forgot or sumit, ive bin walkin up and down my garden all day (well trying) im like a crab at the moment cuz i got a bad pain in my calf gotta walk sideways.

Do you know if you will be having a patellor graft or hamstring?

Offline risky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 01:40:24 AM »
I think its the patellor graft i seem to mind him saying. he showed me where my cuts would be one on knee cap one below where i think he takes the patellor from and one above my knee he says that he will also try and use the two holes where i have scars from when they went in to sort catlige out and have a look about. are you still on crutches and what sore of bandaging did you get he said i would have quite alot :(

Offline Tash_Pitre

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 10:56:52 PM »
I had alot of bandaging but they took it off the day after surgery and put little post op dressing on but i had hamstring graft so your scar may be bigger than mine, i only had 1, 1 1/2 inch incision below my knee medialy and two holes.

I was off crutches after one week, though im still limping pretty badly, i feel like i have no control over my leg, when im walking i go all over the place, funny to watch i guess.

Your surgeon seems pretty good and informative, i was told nothing other than "yup its definatly torn, you'll get a date through the post"
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 10:57:58 PM by Tash_Pitre »

support