Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Failing TTT?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Failing TTT?
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:17:51 PM »
I had a TTT with LR on my L knee about 4 years ago. I'd been experiencing poor tracking, stiffness, and a fair amount of discomfort prior to the operations. Based on my history and physical exam, my doc went with the operation.

I was fine post op for about 3 years. I was fairly active (hiking, biking, backpacking) - no quad exercises as I did in post op pt - just normal (for me) living.

Now my life has changed - still active, but I guess not enough. My knee really hurts on the inside much of the time, and feels unstable (no dislocations, though). I'm doing PT again - at home, though (and rather unwillingly - I don't like PT!). I use my patella brace sometimes; yesterday I had to walk a lot, so I used crutches. That helped, so does walking with my knee straight, or not walking/hiking much (seems like I need to walk to keep this thing working at all).

Am I headed for another TTT? Can I "fix" this on my own without going for another round of PT in the clinic?

I really want to be back hiking and skiing soon; right now I'm uneasy about going very far into the backcountry with my knee feeling this unstable.

Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Failing TTT?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:23:16 AM »
Sally,

First, you are doing the right thing by starting your PT exercises.  How is your muscle balance?  Are you stretching?  Have you noticed any difference in your patella (ie.  sits differents, etc.)?  If the PT and stretching doesn't help, you may need a trip to the OS' office for evaluation.  Don't think the worst- it may be something simple!  It could be something as simple as a muscle imbalance (if your quad or hammy is stronger than the other muscle groups, it can make your patella maltrack.)  Best of luck and many hugs!

Chris  :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

support