Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help am being confused by OS  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Jenr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help am being confused by OS
« on: November 07, 2004, 02:42:05 PM »
I got an answer to my previous question on this site, but since then I have seen my OS.  My MRI scan supposedly came back clear so the OS is really unsure what is going on.  He still sticks by his initial idea that it could be something with the meniscus that didn't come up on the MRI, but then he added another term that I really did not understand the parapatellar parka???

I have had the problem for over a year this time around, but initally injured my knee whilst undergoing military training back in 2000.  Ever since I have had this injury drs, physios and PTIs have given me the impression that it is all in the mind but the pain is real and is really beginning to get me down.  I cannot do any physical exercise unless I want to cope with pain for the next 2-5 days.  The OS says that all that is left if I cannot cope with the pain is that I have an arthioscopy.  I have agreed in principle but now I am trying to work out if there is any other way.  Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

The Confused One!!!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Help am being confused by OS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 03:18:55 PM »
If believe your OS is using an outdated term parapatella plica which is also know as a medial synovial plica.

Check out this link:

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic543.htm
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Jenr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 04:18:17 PM »
Many Thanks for that, it has certainly explained a little bit.  I will just have to wait for the artioscopy now and see what happens.  I have been told it will probably be 3 months.

Cheers
J

Offline Jenr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 12:00:26 AM »
The only thing that is a little bit worrying is that you are saying that he is using an outdated term.  I have not neard many good things about the OS and and now begininning to wonder whether surgery is the best way forward?  Any advice??

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 12:38:28 AM »
Seek a second opinion from an OS outside of the group your OS is with.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Jenr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 12:59:25 AM »
I have a slight problem with that.  My work has its own consultants, surgeons etc...... and to go outside for an opinion could cause a few problems.  I really do not know what to do.  I need to get this sorted before I have to go away with with work next summer, so I cannot afford to  wait as when I go away I have to be fully fit.  I am seeing my GP (also provided by work) on tuesday, so I guess I will have to seek his advice

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 01:07:24 AM »
I don't know if this is an option, but it would get you a second opinion without involving your insurance or work.  Some orthopedic practices offer sports medicine clinics on saturdays.  They are normally free and open to anyone.  However, you aren't supposed to use them if you are already seeing an OS.  I have sent people to them for an informal second opinion on occasions because of similar circumstances to what are you describing.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 01:16:37 AM »
If you get a second opinion from someone within the same system, they will have access to your records and will see the previous surgeons report.  I have an HMO and had this problem when I went to get a second opinion and the doctor had the whole copy of the report from the first surgeon.  I thought that I was going to get a whole new opinion not a follow-up opinion from the first doctor.  Fortunately, the second OS is not taking the same approach.

If you don't feel comfortable with your surgeon and have heard bad things, I would definately get a second opinion even if you have to pay for it out of pocket.  If you have heard bad things, then it is likely that they are true.  But if you have to stay in the system, maybe talk with your physio to see if he/she could give you a referral to someone within the system that is good.  That is how I got my OS.    This is your knees that you are talking about...you need them to walk on everyday and it sounds like you are active.   Don't just let anyone operate on you!!!!    
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05