Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Living with torn medial meniscus  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Colleen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Living with torn medial meniscus
« on: November 07, 2004, 07:51:27 AM »
I tore my medial meniscus 2 1/2 years ago and it was diagnosed by an OS by MRI.  Surgery was recommended and I was told that recovery would take only 5 days to a week and that I might need crutches for several weeks off and on.  The pain is constant and is becoming unbearable. My concern is that I have caretaker responsibilities that require I be able to drive, take care of our needs, and really can't be out of commission for any extended period of time. And, we live in a 2 story home.
I've spoken with others who have had the surgery and they say it takes about 4 months before they are able to do many of the things they did before.  Some do not drive for a couple of months. I need the surgery but would like to know what type of recovery period is the norm so I can make arrangements accordingly. Thanks. :-[

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Living with torn medial meniscus
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »
Hey !!

Depends on what surgery you need. A repair makes recovery much longer then a meniscectomy (trimming).
If you really are in a bad shape maybe you have to settle down a bite and take time for the surgery so you don't damage more in your knee.
Regarding driving a car maybe you can switch car with someone for a while and drive an automatic (gears).
If you are a mom or dad you might need to get help from the other part or someone else.
Recovery though is so different from person to person so you really can't tell exactly how long it takes.
Wish you good luck and a speedy recovery !!

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Colleen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Living with torn medial meniscus
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 01:00:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice. It's been such a while I believe it will involve both cleaning debri and repairing a tear.  I had been told that postponing the surgery wouldn't cause additional harm. Since the knee injury I have also injured my left arm and will have that looked at in December...if not sooner. (Tripped and fell going up the stairs...could have been much worse!)
Since my post I have come to the conclusion that I do need to take care of myself and will pursue this after the 1st of the Year.  My husband is mobile but due to strokes is dependent on me for many things.
As for driving, I have an automatic but it's my right knee...maybe not a problem if I can stretch and retract my leg....these are the things I don't know. It was presented as simple but all individuals I know have spent about 4 months before they were comfortable with some of their ordinary activities.  I was also advised that my wrist surgery would heal quickly and 4 years later I still experience pain and weakness?
We have no one to drive us but there are options. There are also ways to get the things we might need delivered or done as well. I need to plan for these and to make sure the resources will be available. The holiday season is probably not the best time to seek services.
I just don't want to go into this thinking it was a piece of cake and it's not.
It is quite cold and with the cold the pain becomes much more severe. Was taking Vioxx when the pain was unbearable but that's not an option so perhaps another antiinflamitory med is needed to keep me going for a couple of months more.
I sleep with my knee elevated and that helps as well.
Take care, and I do appreciate your reply. ::)

support