Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Whats an O.C Fragment ? Or Osteoc..... Fragment  (Read 1606 times)

Offline yr99jparkin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Whats an O.C Fragment ? Or Osteoc..... Fragment
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:29:02 PM »
I dislocated my patella and chipped a peice of bone off, on my OP sheet it says removed O.C Fragment, it also says on another sheet (in poor writing) Osteoc.... Fragment. Cant make out what it says fully. Please could anybody help ?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Whats an O.C Fragment ? Or Osteoc..... Fragmen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 11:37:17 PM »
Osteochondral--a chunk of articular cartilage with a bit of the underlying bone attached.  Basically, you had a divot out of the bone or maybe it even detached completely (called a loose body), and the doctor removed it.  You must feel a LOT better!

Here is a web page that describes articular cartilage and damage to it in very easy to understand words:
http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

This page uses the term chondral defect to signify an area of damage that goes into the bone.  Chondral = articular cartilage or the stuff the covers the bones and osteo = bone, so an osteochondral fragment is one that has both cartilage and a bit of bone attached.  

This is unfortunately something that happens sometimes when a patient has a dramatic dislocation.  Other terms for the 'fragment' are loose bodies, knee mouse/mice, osteochondral lesion, focal osteoarthritis, etc.  Picture a smooth surface--like the putting green on a golf course.  When someone takes a hard cut, they sometimes gouge out a chunk of turf--a divot.  This can happen in your knee if the force is severe enough, so your surgeon removed the divot and probably smoothed down the whole area so that there were no ragged edges.  You should feel a lot better without that bit rattling around in your joint!

Hope this helps.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline yr99jparkin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Whats an O.C Fragment ? Or Osteoc..... Fragmen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 11:41:08 PM »
I dont know where the fragment came from but my knee flows smoothly and theres no grinding. My leg feels fine. What will happen to the divot ? Will it heal ?