Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to keep surgical brace in place?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline CelticNagel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How to keep surgical brace in place?
« on: November 09, 2004, 02:58:48 AM »
I just had an HTO and arthroscopic knee surgery - 2 weeks ago and am in a simple bledsoe post surgical brace.  How in the world do you keep this thing from slipping down?  No matter how tight I make the straps it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Just curious if anyone has any major revelations on this issue.
Thanks
Athena
2002 partial menisectomy R (2x),2003 partial menisectomy R,2004 partial menisectomy L (2x),tibial fractures, tibial plateau fractures,HTO (L) 10/27/04;HTO (R) TBD

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: How to keep surgical brace in place?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 04:14:20 AM »
Get someone to bring you a roll of self adhesive elastic bandage. The bandage is slightly tacky, so if you wrap it about 3 turns around your calf, not snug, but just barely stretched enough to stay put, then put the brace on over that, the foam will hang onto the self adhesive elastic bandage which will keep it from sliding. You may have to play with tension, etc, to get it just right, but it's the recommended fix for slippery postop braces and immobilizers.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline CelticNagel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:04 AM »
Do you mean like the coban self adhesive wrap?  
Thanks
Athena
2002 partial menisectomy R (2x),2003 partial menisectomy R,2004 partial menisectomy L (2x),tibial fractures, tibial plateau fractures,HTO (L) 10/27/04;HTO (R) TBD

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 10:16:27 PM »
It also could be that you have had a lot of muscle atrophy, and the brace just doesn't fit anymore.  Call the OS or the orthotist that fitted the brace for you if you can't find a way to keep it on...if it's not in place, it's not protecting your leg.  I think a couple of other TTT'ers on this page mentioned issues with their post-op brace.

Take care...if your brace is the biggest of your issues, it sounds like you're doing great!

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline CelticNagel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 10:55:06 PM »
Thanks Heather - the brace was the biggest of my issues until yesterday.  My leg has gotten infected and I am waiting to hear from the surgeon.  Yuck!

Athena

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 03:00:12 AM »
Yeah, coban is the same thing, it's not always called that, so i try to use more general descriptions. I'm presuming that you have one of those "universal" post op braces that comes in a general size range and can be tightened up as much as you can stand, but slips anyway. Like the regular immobilizers do.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline CelticNagel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:05:38 AM »
The brace is your standard post op simple bledsoe brace.  And I tighten it up as tight as I can possibly pull it and it still slips down - just like the immobilizers.  I am ready to resort to the old duct tape - that ought to hold it in place.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
well, hopefully the self stick elastic wrap (coban) will help stop the sliding. Try to remember that if you can put the coban on in such a way as to make sure some of it goes above the widest part of the calf, then that'll help make sure that the coban doesn't slide, as you don't want to make the coban very snug and affect your circulation, just tight enough to stay where you put it.

support