Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ? should i of been given a brace  (Read 2579 times)

Offline maggimc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
? should i of been given a brace
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:40:57 PM »
Hi 3 weeks after operation on my right leg i injured my left leg, it felt as if the quads were going one way my calf muscle another way and my kneecap going medially, i saw my OS who laughed, my phsio who said what have i done now, laughing. I even had a bakers cyst on the knee during phsio. Anyway i am now 8 months down the line after it continues to swell and stiff late afternoon, Every so often it fells that it going medially, anti- inflams  do help with this.I saw the OS again who says its a pulled ligament. I have now asked fo a second opinion as-    1 should i still have this much discomfort-     2 would it off helped in the early days to prevent more damage? or to help with the healing process in the knee.  Maggi

Offline Shiinshi

• Regular Poster
  • Fear is only as deep as the mind allows
Re: ? should i of been given a brace
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 10:53:19 PM »
From my personal experience and regardless of how you injured your leg, I would recommend an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine.  

The 1st dr. I went to see just sent me for an MRI, and only talked "at me" rather than "to me".  The 2nd dr. is a sports dr. for our pro teams and I would not trade him for anything in the world!  We spoke of everything from A-Z.

I don't think this discomfort is normal after 8 months although we all have different pain thresholds, and I think that prevention "IS" the best medicine (IMHO).

Take care and good luck. 8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 10:54:07 PM by Shiinshi »
10/04 - RK, ACL allograft recon/ partial lateral meniscectomy.

01/05- RK, PFS and venous deficiencies
- Still could be more, but still don't want to ask!

Offline maggimc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply.I am seeing a Os in december, one of which is on our board fo good surgeons. I dont think he is a sports one though. Hopefully i will get a clearer picture of whats happening with my left knee. Last night i stood still for about 1 hour after that my knee became really stiff. So something is not right. Im hoping its just compensation for my other knee which is still a problem, also very stiff at the same time . here,s hoping something can be done without another operation.

Offline Shiinshi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »
I know what you mean, I actually injured my knee in August and though it would go away.  I practice martial arts so pain is not something new to me.  2 Months later I had surgery, and am glad for it.

I don't care what anyone says, but ask the questions.  The 1st guy I went to see, like I said wanted to "talk at" me.  As you can see, I'm not about to trust my knee and life to some guy like that.  I felt more comfortable with the 2nd doc, and he was that good!  I just hope to never haveto go back to him (he laughed when I told him that).

BTW, from overcompensating my good knee for those two months, in addition to everything else going on with them, now I think I may have shot the meniscus too.  I've suffered from subluxation on both knees for quite some time, and have just gotten by with braces, but now the opt leg is being difficult in the recovery.  

Since my quads in the opt leg are not as strong, the knee cap isn't being held as tight in place so it pops out more frequently.  Oh well, gotta keep trudging along.

I guess my doc didn't touch and laughed when I told him I didn't want to go back, cause he knew that I would.  I als guess that for insurance claims he did not touch it during my surgery.  Who knows.

Well, take care and good luck.

Offline maggimc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 05:46:34 PM »
Hi, i wish i had stood up for myself at the time of seeing the first OS, but when me laughed at me i thought whats the point, the follow up was no better. The first thing the registar said was they could not find anything wrong at the op, even though the OS did a lateral release, menisectomy, plica removal and debridment.  Then saying i have just pulled a ligament. ?He did not look at my notes before he saw me. I was so cross. I saw my GP who read the letter of why he did the operation, saying my kneecap was hagging on by a thread.  The phsio also thought a lot of it was in the mind especially  I bet she never had pain in her knees. Anyway lets hope the next OS finds out whats wrong. I have sent for my notes so i can see what happened during and after surgery on my right leg.

Offline Shiinshi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 06:06:32 PM »
Hi maggi, I don't intend on prying but if you are in the UK it doesn't surprise me.  I've got some friends (that I've met on other online forums) that live there and have had similar problems to yours.

Like I've told them, it's your leg so when no one else will care, you've got to!  I also know that it might be easier said then done, depending on whether an alternate (and qualified) doctor is available in your area, but it's hard for me to accept certain things.

For example, my doctor told my employer that I would need to be out for 6 weeks.  Ok, 6 weeks later I am at work and have to walk around quite a bit.  Guess what, my leg stiffens and swells up after a while causing me such discomfort that I have to sit for a bit.  Now my manager wants to speak to our medical department.  I have the suspect feeling that this ordeal has not ended for me, but no one but yourself is going to know what it actually feels like.  So forget the textbook replies and responses or goals.  We each progress at our own pace.

I wish you much success in your recovery.

Take care and good luck.

Offline maggimc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 01:03:38 AM »
Hi ,Yes i am in th UK. Like yourself i was told that i would be back at work within 4 weeks., some hope, i finally returned to work in September 6 months after the op. Hurting the left leg 3 weeks after the op on rt leg did not help at all. When i returned to work i was seen by occupational health who advised me to stay on the at risk assesment for a further 6 months.. This allowed me to ice my knees,sit down and rest if i needed to. This help greatly. I am still icing my knees at lunchtime and when i arrive home. If i dont do this i find my knees are really bad with the stiffness in the evening. They are improving slowly, it depends what i do , especially if standing for long periods. But compared to what i was like even 4 weeks ago i have improved. thats why i am hoping things will settle down with time. I really hope that an op will not be needed. Anyway i feel that there are worse off people than me. At least i can now walk ok ( sometimes like a duck) and can do most things. I cant run but hey i could not run even before the op so its no use worrying about it. Thanks for all your replys. I hope your knee improves too.

Offline Shiinshi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 08:09:50 AM »
There are pros and cons to everything I suppose, and it seems like you have better labor laws on the other side of the pond.  Let's see what they tell me, I know that my superiors were not happy that I was not fully functional after 6 weeks.  

My job consists of a lot of activity (sitting, standing, moving around the office, etc) so the other two gentlemen that were temporarily hired during my leave are still there.  

Regarding your case, take advantage that you can ice your knees, and do have someone else look into it, even if it means travelling a bit to accomplish it.

Happy healing, take care and good luck.