Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What is sideways movement called?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Greg_T.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What is sideways movement called?
« on: November 14, 2002, 11:37:08 PM »
I believe I have a torn medial meniscus, per the OS, but I haven't had an MRI yet to confirm (too expensive).

Ocasionally, my left knee will give out to the inside when I'm turning to the left.

What is the proper name for this "giving out"?  Knowing a better name will no doubt help my search results.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: What is sideways movement called?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 03:28:35 AM »
I have this to  as far as i know it is just called "medial instability" I have a suspected (well we are nearly 100% certain now) MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament) tear probably complete as well as ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) stretch or tear.
The feeling when your knee goes beyone "normal" range is Hyperextension but as far as i know that is usually when your knee sort of "snaps" backwards when straightening your knee" I get this and WOW does it hurt. I guess that the going to far medially is also hyperextension. but I am not sure.
Look up medial instability on the net
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Greg_T.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 05:47:03 AM »
o.k.  I'll try a search on medial instability.  Thanks.

Any other suggestions, to try also?

Offline erniej

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 08:25:31 AM »
Hi Greg,

You might also try VALGUS or VARUS.  These refer to the lateral or medial (respectively) angulation of the knee joint (ie valgus=knockneed).  An OS might talk about a VALGUS deformity etc...
Not sure if this is what you were aftre, hope that it helps.

Ernie
Tibial Plateau Fracture June 7th 2002.  Schatzker type V.  Internal fixation.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 05:01:29 PM »
Hi Greg,
mine goes out on the medial side too, LOL, I just say Ive got a wobbly knee but the surgeons say I have rotational problems. This they say is because I have a loose ACL. Something they have tried to fix twice unsuccessfully. They say if the ACL is tight then the loose medial side will be fixed. You might find sosmething under rotational movement.
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Greg_T.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 09:29:50 PM »
Thanks, for the input Ernie & Netty.

I wouldn't call it any type of demormaty, since it has only happened since my injury.  The OS really thought my ACL was fine, and only the meniscus was torn.  But since I haven't had the MRI done yet I'm not sure if there is anymore damage.

And the search goes on....

Thanks, again.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 04:52:10 AM »
I have quite a bit of instability problems too.  I had surgeries on both legs this year.  Both legs have normal everything except mal tracking problems and junk under the kneecap.  All the cruciates are okay and the meniscus was fine.  No floating cartilage.  However, I still have the shifting feeling in the lower left leg and that feels like bones are moving, scares me, but the doc says it's nothing.  I really doubt it though.  My right leg hyperextends and I've had to be put in an ACL brace to control the 18 degrees of hyperextension.  When I don't wear it I definitely feel the OUCH when it pops back.  I'm not sure what to do or where to lock for answers to the causes of these problems.  If you find answers, keep us informed.
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 04:14:03 AM »
Greg -

I've heard it called "lateral instability" and "lateral translation" if it's really bad, although "translation" is a term I hear most often if the lower part of the leg moves independent of the upper part.

K.
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 01:14:48 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru