Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee scar tissues  (Read 2008 times)

Offline rohitdon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee scar tissues
« on: November 04, 2004, 08:23:41 PM »
Hi,

I had fractured my tibia bone 2 months ago & had to undergo a surgery. After the surgery my leg was kept straight for 2 weeks & was not allowed to bend. Due to this I have developed a scar tissue around my knee cap which is preventing it to bend. I am undergoing physical therapy from last 4 weeks, but still I am having great difficulties in bending my knee. The doctor has suggested to give anesthesia & bend my knee to break that scar tissue. But there are lot of compications, which may even rupture my tendon or may fracture my bone again. Does anybody know any therapy for softening these scar tissues or any other treatment which would help me bend my knee. Please reply.
Thank you.

Rohit.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Knee scar tissues
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 08:50:08 PM »
Rohit,

The procedure you are talking about is called a manipulation under anesthesia--bending the leg while you are asleep.  And you are VERY smart to be concerned about this--I personally would not let a doctor do this if I had a bone break that was healing, because a lot of force is required and you could break something other than the scar tissue!!

The condition you have (excessive scar tissue) is called arthrofibrosis.  You can read up on it and the different ways of treating it in the soft tissue healing problems section just below this thread on the main bulletin board.

Unfortunately, once you have enough scar tissue in the knee to prevent bending or straightening the knee, it's often necessary to go in with an arthroscopic surgery and cut out all the adhesions.  Then they can be removed by suction and your knee can work normally again.  As important as the arthroscopic surgery to remove the scar tissue, though, is the rehabilitation.  You will read A LOT about this in the soft tissue healing problems section.  Rehab should be gentle and passive--non-weight-bearing, even.  I had this scar tissue removal surgery (called arthroscopic lysis of adhesions) and was in formal therapy within an hour of my surgery.  I also woke up in a special machine called a CPM that gently bends and straightens the leg--to keep more scar tissue from forming.  And I had formal PT 2 times per day after the surgery--but all of it was very gentle, non-weight-bearing, lying on a therapy table and gently working the knee.  The rehabiliation is so important.  Please read up on the topic.

Where are you located?  I have found that many orthopedic surgeons don't know what to do with severe scar tissue problems.  But there are a few here and there who have worked out a way to get rid of the scar tissue and keep it from coming back.  Manipulation under anesthesia is NOT on the list of approved therapies!!

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-bin/KNEEtalk/YaBB.pl?board=softtissue

Heather

PS in the section that deals with scar tissue there are several articles that might help you understand the medical issues behind your condition.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support