Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ask your doctor if synvisc is right for you?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Kneesles

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ask your doctor if synvisc is right for you?
« on: September 16, 2006, 03:58:31 PM »
I am a 20+ year vet of OA and injured my knee at 12yrs old playing  soccer in England.  I have had arthroscopic surgery 2x, ('83+'95) and am walking bone on bone on the inside of my left knee joint for the past 10yrs. Tried glucosamine (Nikken Joint CM complex), and excercise regularly to stay fit. Would rather not mask the pain with a temp bandaid but pain has forced a change in my quality of life.  Recently seen 3 orth surg's for their take on my next move.  All say different things. I want to know if it's worth trying synvisc before going for a total knee replacement at 43yrs. old.  I can only walk 2-3 blocks and am only in excrusciating pain when walking, otherwise bareable. I see mixed results with it and assume it is based on the extent of injury and severity of OA. Also, when the time comes... which knee to choose?

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: Ask your doctor if synvisc is right for you?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »
I suppose you've considered cartiledge repair operations like OATS and ACI? If so (and you aren't a candidate for any of those operations), then why not at least try Synvisc? What have you got to lose?

I'm in a similar situation to yours, although I only have one knee that is in terrible condition (other will probably need a tkr at some point, but I can live with the soreness in that knee). I was bone on bone prior to OATS; I'm not sure what the problem is now except weightbearing is barely tolerable...and that only with major doses of advil or narcotics (and I limit the narcotics to one dose a day). I'm halfway through Synvisc; if things don't improve, I'm not sure what will happen. But of course I can't live like this until I'm considered "old enough" for a tkr: I'm 43 now, I know they don't like to do replacements until closer to 50.

I don't know much about Synvisc, but sometimes I wonder if it simply can't help people at the more advanced stages. Is it most likely to be effective with earlier stage OA? Of course, I do think it's worth a try for most people; if there is even a small chance that it will delay a tkr, why not try it?
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:04:58 AM »
funny .

I had one OS tell me he would do a TKR on me now. 36

The second os said he would do a pkr on me when I turn 40.    Very hard to take that someone can see you taking  4 years of bad pain daily .  Give you a pain medicine that you will only take once a day.   How fair is that?

Offline speer03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:13:21 AM »
Just a little FYI.

The main difference in Synvisc vs Supartz is that Synvisc is 20% synthetic.  It adds to the molecular weight of the drug, however it has a side effect of severe pseudosepsis - basically painful inflamation of the knee.  It is extremely painful and occurs in around 5% of the population in the first series, and then it jumps to 24.6% in the second series. This is widely known and is why they have been losing market share for 5 straight years.  This is also documented in about 12-13 articles in bigtime medical journals, as well as in their own literature.  The next time you get an injection ask to see the paperwork in the box, it's printed right there.

Supartz is the purest form of hyalurona available today with the mst active ingredient.  It is also about half price and in over 155million injections there has never been one reported / documented case of severe pseudosepsis.

Good Luck!!!

support