Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New User to system !!  (Read 1345 times)

Offline hermeneutika

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
New User to system !!
« on: November 14, 2002, 06:27:58 PM »
Hello there I am new to this system. So the advice was to post here first.
I twisted my knee on 24 Oct 2002 , went to the hospital and then went back to work. It was painful but not enough to take some time off work. I work in a foundry, so my work can be heavy. After nearly two weeks it looked like the knee was clearing up. However work got really busy, I was up and down ladders pulling and shoving and lifting etc, and on the Friday 7 November 2002 my left knee went down again. This time it was agonising! Again I went to the Hospital. Again I was x rayed. No broken bones at any rate.
        I have been given the week off. However the hospital doctor has said I can go back to work next Monday.
           However my brother is not so sure. So this coming Monday I have made a appointment with my local doctor.( I live in the UK)
       I just need some advice and help from people who have had knee injuries, or even people who deal in knee injuries to perhaps give me some accurate information about healing times, what to do for the best etc etc.

Than you for your time and consideration. Also I do a lot of cycling can i continue cycling or should I leave it for a while? I am 50 years of age and male.

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: New User to system !!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 03:12:00 AM »
knee injuries healing times depend on what you have actually "done" to your knee. X-rays only show bones and not ligaments, tendons, muscles or the meniscus or cartilage. You need to get these structures checked out 1st tom make sure you haven't caused damage to these structures (ie. a torn ligament or meniscus or stretched ligaments). the 1st time I twisted my knee i tore my ACL clean out of the femur and had a partial tear to MCL the 2nd time I stretched the ACL graft and this time I bent my knee to dry myself after a bath and "bang" I blew it again this time at least ACL and MCL but who knows what else.
My situation is by no means normal as i have a genetic problems with my connective tissues and this makes me very prone to ligament injuries.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 04:46:51 PM »
Hi there,

While you are waiting for further diagnosis, some things to keep in mind:

1.  Stay off the bike!  You could do more damage.
2.  Rest, ice and elevate your knee as often as possible.
3.  Anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen, (Advil) will help inflammation and pain, but will also mask pain so, even if it feels better, follow no. 2.  Tylenol will not help inflammation, it will only help pain.  You're better off with Advil.

True, Xrays won't show 'soft tissue' damage or irregularities.  An MRI would be useful if this doesn't settle down again.  You may need to give it several weeks before determining whether it will get better on its own.  If not, then keep on your dr. to refer you to OS.

When it comes to knees, my motto is "Patience and perseverence".  Best of luck and let us know.

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 06:46:28 PM »
Hi and welcome, from a fellow UK-er!

Stay off that bike, it's going to be a pin for you but by getting on that bike too soon, you risk damging the knee or contunually flaring up the original injury.

It would be wise, when visiting your Dr, to ask if they feel an MRI might be appropriate, they may say no, but this may rule out anything more serious such as a cartilidge tear, X-rays are useless for soft tissue injuries.

Do you have a physio local to your or even at your GP' surgery, they are a great point of contact for injuries, they are often very experienced in the type of injuries you have susatained, it may be worth asking their opinion.

Remember to rest and take it easy.

Take care
Iona