Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Hyperextends After Accident  (Read 968 times)

Offline salomon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee Hyperextends After Accident
« on: November 03, 2004, 03:18:21 AM »
My knee started to hyperextend after  a terrible car accident.  I'd like to know why and what I can do to prevent this.  As a result of my accident I was in a comma for 1 month.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Knee Hyperextends After Accident
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 08:48:50 AM »
Hey !!

I'm so glad you managed through after your accident. First of all I must ask did you have any damages on your knee after the accident ? If you have a doc since the accident contact this doc first.
If you have more info about your knee please give us that.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline salomon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 06:14:37 AM »
I did not have an injury AFTER the accident.  All of my injuries occurred DURING the accident.  I broke my pelvis and my left femur (the left leg where I have the problem).

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 06:46:54 AM »
I think Nettan is on the right track, and you'll have to overlook any minor issues with her English--considering that she's from Sweden, I think her written English is fantastic.

Anyway, what Nettan was trying to find out is whether you had a diagnosis of any knee injuries as a result of the accident.  Is there any mechanical problem in your knee, like a torn meniscus, ruptured ACL, deep chondral lesion or bone bruise?  Did your femur fracture heal well?  Have you had physical therapy to regain the strength and balance of the muscles.

If there is nothing physically wrong with your knee or leg, the hyper-extension could be the result of a couple of things:  severe muscle atrophy as a result of being in a coma and having a leg fracture.  This would best be addressed by physical therapy in a clinic that deals with brain injuries and head trauma patients.  Another possibility is that your brain injury has dramatically altered your sense of balance, or damaged the part of the brain that deals with gait and muscle coordination.  Again, a rehabilitation clinic would be the best place to start.

When someone has a knee that hyper-extends as the result of injury or severe muscle atrophy, it's usually recommended to work with a physical therapist to strengthen the quads, calves, hamstrings, and core muscles (like abs and lower back).  Also, work on proprioception (which is kind of the awareness of our limbs and where they are placed at any moment in time) and balance can be crucial.

Unfortunately, balance/proprioception problems can come from mechanical issues or an actual injury to the knee joint, brain injury, or severe muscle atrophy.  So you're likely going to need a doctor to help you unravel the mystery.  Nettan's suggestion of starting with the doctor who treated you after your accident is a good one; if that doctor is not the right specialty, he or she can refer you to a colleague who can assess your situation and find out if the problem is mechanical or neurological in origin.

Good luck.

Heather
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 06:51:51 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline salomon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 07:15:23 AM »
No, I don't have a mechanical problem on the knee.  Also, my femur healed very well.  I will consult with my rehabilitation doc.... I thought that maybe you might have heard or know of why this problem occurs...

support