Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Overuse or Injury?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Overuse or Injury?
« on: November 14, 2002, 04:18:09 PM »
I've had knee pains throughout life but this one is major.  I spent the summer on a lake where I had a rowing shell.  I rowed everyday, an average of six miles.  After two months I started to feel a little burn in the left knee but overlooked it.  One day in a yoga class the instructor "assisted" me further into a stretch position that stressed the knee and I felt a shift of some sort but it wasn't immediately painful.  Now I have lowgrade pain in movement and sleep.  It got better for a while but has returned. X-rays show nothing out of place and no arthritis. A nurse practictioner says it's a torn ligament and will require surgery.  I'm unemployed with no insurance, so my question is: what should I do next in confirming that I need surgery and how long can I wait?

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Overuse or Injury?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 06:46:26 PM »
You didn't say where the pain was. A torn MCL for example can heal by itself, also a partial tear of the ACL depending on how bad it is. Anyway you need to see a orthopedic surgeon, please post back and let us know what he said. Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 07:35:46 PM »
Joe,

I tore my meniscus doing Yoga.  The point is you could have done anything to your knee and you really need to have it checked out by an orthopedic surgeon.  An x-ray, while a good diagnostic test, shows damage like you would find with arthritis.  When you have an injury like yours, where the soft tissue may be involved, you usually need an MRI.  That, combined with an exam by a comptetent orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees should give you a much better idea of what is going on.  Without insurance, a doctor's visit could run you US$150 or more, and an MRI can be between $1200-2000.  Hopefully you live somewhere that has cheaper medical care???  Also, some places have special rates for self-pay patients--I got a 35% discount on my first surgery because I was paying cash up front...it's worth asking.

Hope this helps.  No one can tell what's wrong with your knee w/out professional experience, a hands on exam, and possibly some diagnostic tests.  Of all those, the most important is the hands-on exam by a top knee surgeon.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 09:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies and info.  The pain seems to come from behind the knee cap.  I'm walking around and doing some things at the gym- I live in New York so walking is necessary as well as subway stairs and there's no elevator in my building. Can I be damaging the knee further?

Offline Michelle_Gr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 03:57:57 AM »
Hi Joe
Yes, you are almost certainly hurting your knee by doing so many stairs, because the knee takes 6 times your weight per square inch when you do one step/stair.  Definitely time to get it checked it's not a big deal all they do is press on your knee a little and then take a few x-rays.
        Good Luck
                                              Michelle
I have maltracking and malalignment problems, Osgood-Schlatter's disease and will be having bi-lateral releases this year, most likely over the summer but I'm hoping sooner.  I am 14.

Offline Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 05:32:29 AM »
Thanks Michelle!  I'm looking for an Orthopedic sergeon  to check me out.
I appreciate your response.
Joe