Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: When do you get MRI results?  (Read 7027 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
When do you get MRI results?
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:06:38 AM »
Hi.  I am having an MRI next week to determine if I have a mensiscus tear.  I was wondering, do you normally get a general idea of the results immediately following the MRI or do you have to wait to meet with your OS in order to get the results.  I live in the U.S and was just wondering if I would have to wait a full week to get the results.  Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.  
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
Re: When do you get MRI results?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 02:55:58 AM »
hey.  the time it takes to get mri results can vary between a few hours, or a few days.  i found my results out in 3 days, but it really depends on your OS.
hope this helps
-Lesley
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 03:46:52 AM »
Hey hey!

When i got my mri done, i waited a little less than a week...maybe 5 working days.  But just like lesley said, it all depends on the OS.  I live in a small town so my OS read it and had it sent down to a much larger city and had the radiologist read it as well.  So yes, it all depends on how your OS does things.
Hope this helps.
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 05:10:31 AM »
Usually the MRI techs won't tell you anything, if they spot anything, because of the rules - they're not the doctor and cannot diagnose, are usually prevented by hospital/clinic regs from discussing anything they see. Unless you know yours personally, and then that's totally off the record.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 01:36:25 PM »
Thanks for your replies!!  It helps to know what to expect when you go.  Now I won't be disappointed when I don't find out anything that day.  I will already know that I have to wait to talk with my OS.  
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline kporterjud

• Regular Poster
  • One body part at a time....
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 06:48:43 PM »
Unless your OS specifies that the lab give you the films to bring to the consultation (which is what happened when I had an MRI on my left wrist), you'll most likely have to wait until your appointment with your OS. Recently, when I had my MRI on my knee, I asked the tech if he or the radiologist could give me a sneek preview, but the answer was "nix".
::)
2/10/04 - Reconstructive wrist surgery
Menisectomy/Debridement/min. synovectomy (rt. knee)
Cortisone/Lidocaine shot
1/11/06 - Chondroplasty of the lateral/medial femoral condyle
Removal of loose bodies
Debridement of arthrofibrotic banding
Ext PF synovectomy

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 11:39:39 PM »
Usually the MRI techs won't tell you anything, if they spot anything, because of the rules - they're not the doctor and cannot diagnose, are usually prevented by hospital/clinic regs from discussing anything they see. Unless you know yours personally, and then that's totally off the record.

If you read an MRI that tequals giving a diagnosis... DRS work! So no we aren't allowed to tell what we see on MRI-Xray-CTscans etc. Sometimes can be difficult to keep your mouth shut, esp when family members want to know what's wrong and we can read the films (well, generally ;D, we can't always see details but you learn that, the more films you watch the more you see!).

Sometimes we have to call our OS, tell them over the phone what's wrong and what we see and then WE have to tell the patients what the dr said THEY have... I don't agree with this working method but it's just the way it goes ::)

On topic... I had my MRI on sunday and logged in under OS on call's name so knew my results on monday morning, then phoned OS results where in, he checked the PC and then told me the results... I know it's kinda cheating but lucky me ;D ::)

Now we have PACS and RIS (Digital Xray system) so results are send over by PC and results are known rightaway ;)

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 04:38:41 PM »
Hi,

Just had mine yesterday. I was told ususally 4 days but most likely a day or two.

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline sweetheart0517

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 11:11:41 PM »
I got a copy of my mri that day to take home but they said the results would be read that night.....I got my results in about 3 days later at my doctors office because they sent them to my doctor to look over and call me....you should get them within a week depending on your doctor....if you unsure you can always call them and ask....good luck with everything  :)
Lateral release 1-12-2005
Pt for what feels like forever...

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 01:04:01 AM »
Thanks again to all who have responded to this posting.  I was unable to get a follow-up appoinment to review my results until 9 days after the MRI is scheduled.  And they told me that they wouldn't be sure that the MRI results would even be in.  HMO's....blah, blah, blah!!!  I'm so glad though that you all have told me that I won't find out that day.  The less immediate frustration the better!!!
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

support