Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Could kneecap just be in totally the wrong place?  (Read 2116 times)

kneesknees

Could kneecap just be in totally the wrong place?
« on: October 31, 2004, 02:30:04 AM »
Hi everyone,

To keep it brief, basically the my right kneecap feels as though it is far too far over to the left hand side (inside) of my knee.  I am currently unable to bend my leg after months in a rigid brace which is another story but could it be that my kneecap is just too far to one side to allow me to move my leg properly?

When I push my kneecap back into what feels like central or downwards, I am able to bend my leg with what feels like little problem.

Any ideas?  Could it just be in the wrong place and is there something simple that could be done to correct this (other than physio because I've had that and it absolutely hasn't worked!)?

Thanx everyone and hope you're all not feeling too bad.

Katy

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Could kneecap just be in totally the wrong pla
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 03:23:14 PM »
Sometimes your knee cap can become scarred down after surgery or prolonged immobilization.  This may be what you are experiancing, especially since you are able to get greater ROM while manipulating the knee cap.  Try patelllar mobizations in all directions, and see if it helps.  X-rays might also be useful to determine if you kneecap is aligned wrong.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Lynsey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 11:08:59 PM »
Hi,
  My knee cap was too far over to one side so I had it re aligned in Jan 2000. Not sure if the surgery was a success as I am still suffering from severe and constant pain! :'(
Jan 2000 Knee cap realigned
Oct 2001 Arthroscopy- cartilidge shaved and degeneration in knee
Nov 2004 still in constant and severe pain. often unable to walk

kneesknees

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 02:01:43 AM »
thanks for the replies guys,

that's really interesting Lynsey...what surgery did they do to realign your kneecap?  did it take long to recover?
Also, could you feel yourself that your kneecap wasn't in the right place?  Finally, how did they discover it? because I have had X-Rays which didn't seem to show anything, although the woman who took them told me that they weren't very clear because of my lack of ability to bend my knee so they couldn't get the right angles...

sorry for all the questions and thanx again for the replies, they're really appreciated.

Katy

support