Banner - Hide this banner





Author Topic: infection or possible rejection???  (Read 1578 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

brattkids2

  • Guest
infection or possible rejection???
« on: October 28, 2004, 06:11:57 PM »
I was wondering i anybody could tell me the signs of infection in the joint.
I had OATS in August and my knee has been quite painful the past week. Its snapping and cracking and it hadn't done that till about this past week. The knee is really warm to the touch and I feel like crap (really tired and nausious (sp??) at times). ??? I also have a ow grade fever 99.9.
My OATS was done with synthetic material so I wonder if this could be a sign of rejection???
I go to OS tomorrow morning but I'm feeling a bit scared and would appreciate any information you guys could give me.

Thank You
Paulette

Offline Leentje

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 2114
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: infection or possible rejection???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:37:20 AM »
I would wait and hear what the OS has to say.

But to your information : signs of infection are

Redness
Warmth
Pain
Swelling
Pus

Let us know what it is!!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Helen_uk

  • Guest
Re: infection or possible rejection???
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 07:56:41 PM »
If you are at all worried get pestering and get seen . this is your leg and your health dont hang on waiting because if it is infected or rejecting the sooner you get help the better.
Love and good luck H xxx

Offline BridgetJones_uk

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 365
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
Re: infection or possible rejection???
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
Don't confuse the signs of infection with inflammation. (they're the same minus the pus ...... more inflammatory fluid,) the only peep who can answer that question is your doc.

Mines been infected and my doc wouldn't sort out a course of antibiotics......so I've had another trip to the hospital (this time with a GCS of 15, I'll explain later when I have time!)

My X whos an orthopod SHO made me get seen this time and challenge the doc as he was the only person I could think of to phone and he started with the lecture on septic arthrtisis and other complications and ended up in the complication of amputation! ( hate him, but also gotta love him!) A tad extreme but he know that I somethimes need a kick up the arse to do anything even after the last couple of weeks. If your worried get it seen, better safe than sorry.

M
xx
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:19:23 PM by BridgetJones_uk »
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

brattkids2

  • Guest
Re: infection or possible rejection???
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 06:22:07 PM »
thank you for all your replies!!! they are most appreciated!!


Went to OS who doesnt believe that there is infection (but on side of caution on antibiotics) but doesnt like all the pain im having. So Im going in for a scope on Nov 11 to see whats going on. He says that mabey some debris is irritating the joint or scar tissue????  This is my birthday so Im hoping that as a birthday present that debris is all it is and my knee will start getting good!!! (I'm Praying)  I'm afraid i will hear that OATS is not healing properly :(

I will let you know what happens    thank you again

Paulette

Offline UK_Sam

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: infection or possible rejection???
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 12:03:39 AM »
Paulette

I am about to have OATS but am having plugs from my own body taken.  Did you discuss this with your Consultant or did you choose synthetic ones for a reason? My consultant hasn't even mentioned the possibility of synthetic plugs so I just wondered what the difference, if any, was.

Ta
Sam
Arthroscopy 07.97 & 06.04
R Knee OArthritis, no lateral miniscus, damaged medial miniscus & no ACL (all diagnosed '04)
Proposed Solution: OATS with Femoral Osteotomy then hamstring ACL replacement

brattkids2

  • Guest
Re: infection or possible rejection???
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 01:30:33 AM »
Sam,

the reason for the synthetic plugs was the size of my lesions It would be too much to take plugs from other areas. I have small bone frame and my lesions were 1cm+. I had 3 lesions, 2 on the lateral and 1 medial.

Hope that helps you some

thanks
Paulette :)















support