Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 6 months post op ACL, PLC  (Read 7932 times)

Offline Philip

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
6 months post op ACL, PLC
« on: October 27, 2004, 04:35:14 PM »
Hey there, (and hi Grudier sorry for this late reply - also thought of starting a new thread...)

just a quick (well not really) report on my recovery:

Overall I think I am doing okay. My ROM (active) is about 135-140 pretty much comparable to my good one (145) although passive ROM is still not good enough to sit on my knees and I was told that I might have long term problems with sitting on my knees (although I manged to touch my butt with my heels (wearing shoes though  ::) ))

I saw my OS 2 weeks ago - well I did not really has he had to rush off to a surgery - anyway his assistant was pleased with the progress although my knee was slightly swollen when I was there (did too much excercise that week) and I still - from time to time - have some fluids in my knee, although it is getting less and less. I started icing my knee again after each excercise...

I am by now biking more than an hour without problems and run for about 20-25 min 2 to 3 times a week without much problem and I am also back doing climbing excercises (my main sport) (I started toproping 4 months after my injury). I still feel my knee especially the postlateral side when jogging (I think my ITB is a bit tight) but it's not too bad. I wear a brace whenever I climb, but not while running and biking. Last week I started Plyometrics in my PT - it feels pretty good although it is hard work and sometimes I  am worried about jumping around too much.  Also, I was told that while running I lift my left arm  as if to relieve my right (involved) leg, as well in my plyometrics I often bend my leg, while landing medially, which I should try to avoid.

I am also taking part in a research for postlateral corner injuries, and they measured 6 months post op between 10-25 % lack of strength compared to my univolved leg (depending on the excercise) - my harmstring is coming along quite well and the discrepancy between quad/harmstring is less in my involved leg. They used a Biodex machine and I have loads of data at home, pretty fascinating that stuff actually...

The surgery as such involved ACL reconstruction using my Patellar of my involved leg, the PCL remained intact luckily - it was merely strained and needed no reconstruction, my LCL luckily popped off the bone including a piece of bone, so the rupture was fairly clean and thus they managed (somehow I don't know how though) to suture it back together again (they call that an evoltion I think if the ligament comes of with the bone) so I needed no reconstruction. Phe whole PLC was referred to by the surgeon as mere tissue and they managed to suture the ITB and the biceps femoris tendon together. I also have a nail in my tibia plateau due to a fracture in my plateau, I was therefore 6 weeks in a full brace and was allowed minimal weight bearing - I lost basically all muscles in my leg and thus I am really glad to have some strength back...

As said it feels fairly stable although it is still stiff in the morning (need to do my stretches every day) and to be honest despite the fact that last week I started with Plyometrics I still dont have my confidence back - but it is getting there....i am on the mend....

Anyway, hope you guys are doing well and Grudier how are things with you? It sounded pretty promising in your other post.

all the best,

cheers,
Philip
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 04:55:00 PM by Philip »
6/4/04 Kiting accident: ACL, LCL, Biceps femoris tendon and Ilio tibia band ripped, fractured tibia below plateau.
14/4/04 OP: Reconstructing ACL, repairing  also the other damages

Offline grudier

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: 6 months post op ACL, PLC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 09:57:12 PM »
Hello Phillip, good to hear from you, glad to hear of your progress. Just to remind everybody, I'm coming up on a year post op. I'm in the army, and just had a five mile run this morning, felt pretty good, but the leg muscles are pretty tired, as they haven't caught up yet. I tore my ACL, LCL, PLC, tore my lateral meniscus, and ruptured the illiotibial band. They took a hamstring graft from my injured leg and a hamstring graft from the contralateral leg. Unfortunately because of the severity of the ruptured IT Band, PLC, and LCL, they placed me in a full leg cast for 6 weeks. Even more unfortunate for me I was still bleeding out five weeks post op, and started getting high grade fevers, went to the OS and got readmitted to the hospital. I had to be opened up again and had two debridements, turns out I had a resistant strain of Staph infection. Lost 25 lbs of bodyweight, and then got placed in a splint for two more weeks. To make a long story short, I lost 80% of the muscle on my right leg, and didn't get to start any Physical Therapy until I was 3 months post op. I'm now at approximately 80% strength, feels very stable no complaints there, don't worry about it too much, and never wear my brace unless I'm specifically moving over uneven terrain. I have been getting a lot of knee pain on the front right side of the injured knee, not sure what it is, possibly nerve damage, maybe scar tissue, will ask my OS about it on 3 NOV 04. I want to get a bike soon, I walk, run, or do the elliptical trainer, as an avid bike rider does it help? I'm thinking it would as the legs do 90% of the work, and I get my aerobic out of the way at the same time. Stationary exercises drive me crazy anyways, boring. I have been doing plyometrics, mandatory program for us army types, designed to make us more comfortable moving athletically. Lots of jumping, pivoting, sprints I enjoy it, and I can now touch the basketball rim again (not bad for a hobbled 5'11" 210 lb, 33 year old white guy) and can squat 215 lbs for 3 sets of 10, without the brace, so I'm feeling very blessed. After a self imposed ban on organized sports I am chomping at the bit to start again, I can't wait, well guess that's long enough if you ever want to compare notes or progress drop me a line, I enjoy hearing about different rehab exercises, til next time enjoy.
Rob
ACL, LCL, PLC reconstruction, torn lateral meniscus, ruptured Illiotibial band- 14 Nov 03
Staph infection, debridement x2, 22, 24 Dec 03

Offline mike_motor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »
Well I guess there's three of us in this ACL/PLC/LCL boat.  

I think I've swapped info with each of you in the past, but it's been 3-4 months since I've been here.  I'm just over 9 months post op from ACL reconstruction with patella tendon, LCL/PLC recon. with hamstring, medial meniscus repair and lateral meniscus trim (40% taken off).  

I was non-weightbearing for 4 weeks, in my lcoking brace for 6 weeks.  I played golf for the first time exactly 8 weeks post-op.   Running still causes pain in the LCL/PLC area as do most activity-based movements.  Entire area between patella harvest site and LCL recon. on the side is still completely numb.

As for progress, I guess I can tell two stories and it confirms my confidence.  First, I was put through a functional test at 3 mos. which involved jumping, hopping, lateral cutting, etc.  My repaired leg was 18-20% deficient in comparison to my "normal" one.  I went back 3 weeks later and I was at  6%.  Scholarship athletes return to practice & contact at 10%, although normally around 6-9 months.  

Second story is embarassing but tells me a lot.  I was out in a restaurant a week and a half ago.  I should preface with the fact that my ankles are terrible and roll all the time.  Well I was carrying two plates of food, one for me, and one for my daughter.  When I turned to head toward the table, my left ankle rolled all the way to the floor and "stuck" out of place as it commonly does, I reacted by trying to catch myself with my repaired leg but I was too late I was headed down.  My repaired leg turned underneath me and then I landed with all my 230 lbs. right in the middle of my kneecap on concrete tile floor.  Of course, I smashed both plates of food (side point of the story was the mess I made).  I hit the floor and immediately felt the pain from just landing on the knee and thought the worst.  However, I got nothing more than a bruise and a scrape out of the fall, the twisting, and the landing etc. so I'm now pretty confient. in the knee.

I'm going on Sat. to play basketball for the first time since it all blew up just under a year ago.  I probably shouldn't do this but I went through the surgery, the PT, etc. so I could do this again, so here goes.  I'll try and remember to come back with a report.  I was fully cleared by my O/S who is one of the best around here so if he's happy, I'm happy.

Good luck to you fellow "gimpy legs", hopefully we'll all get back to normalcy in due time.
Blew up everything 1/26/04, removed 40% lateral, 20% medial on 2/3/04,  3/23 ACL recon (patella), PLC recon.(hammy), medial meniscus repair

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 11:25:07 PM »
4 in the boat actually!

although I'm 3 years ahead of you all I think I'm still a bit behind when it comes to running and jumping (perhaps it's the 8 surgeries or perhaps I'm just a wimp)

However at last 15 months after my revision ACL/PCL recons with PCL reconstruction and osteotomy, I can actually hop on my bad leg now. I can't properly run yet but listening to your stories I shall aim for that in 3 months!
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline shussai1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:22:39 PM »
Hi there folks,

I was wondering if any of you could help with what i should avoid/not avoid doing, basically i want help with how i should go ahead and how i can progress with a career in the army.

I've just had a ACL/PLC recon on my left leg(04/02/2005) using hamstrings from both legs. Im in a leg brace thing right now and apparently have to keep it on for 6 weeks.I cant sleep at night so i bought a leg support band from Argos and wear that at night so i can turn over easily, is this okay and would i be damaging the graft?

Im thinking of joining the army asoon as posssible Royal Enginners then hopefully do a commando course, what i was worried about is would the People at the Selection center boot me out because i have had these two recon's on my knee?

Do you think i should take the leg brace off and start walking on my left leg with the help of crutches just a couple of meters to start getting my leg muscle back, i tried this last night and my left leg was unstable but i didn't put too much weight on it and my walking movements where very controlled?

Also being just 2 weeks post op my knee is locked at 30 degrees, my plc is quite tight on the left leg and im finding it hard to bend backwards ( quite painfull) any ideas how i can get this movment back.

Folks as you can see im throwing loads of questions at you, the thing is im 21 and i dont want my legs to be messed up for the rest of my life and i know if i can get help from you you guys then i might be in for a chance for a successful career in the army.

Cant wait to here your replies

SID>

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 08:13:25 PM »
My concern when I read your post is that you want to do too much too soon and may risk messing your leg up in your desire to rebuild the muscles.
There is a reason for having a brace on and just because you are asleep it doesn't mean that you can't do more damage to your leg particularly when you turn over. Iwas made to wear a brace in bed after my surgeries - you need to do what the OS said.
You really should protect your posterolateral corner for as long as you are told to, at your age you will be able to rebuild the muscles pretty well as soon as you  are released but if you try and rush it you might permanently damage your healing PLC.

I would not wish long term PLC instability on anybody its not worth risking it
So good luck but be patient and do as you are told!!!

(I'm speaking from experience here with the knee but also as mother of a 20yr old who ruptured his achilles tendon in the summer and then reruptured it in October whilst clubbing in his freshers week at university and so ended up with 5 months on crutches, he is being much more patient with his rehab this time!!)
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline goya9747

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
Well that goes for 5 of us now. I am 3 months post op, (ACL, LCL< MEICUS< poptius tenton all reconstrution) and still use 1 crutch and wear the brace. I have almost full motion back, and need to build up some muscle now. I am very worried because one day i went to put on my jeans on by bending down and felt my knee slip out. Was very suprirised to say the least, so I stayed in that position and made same movement and watch the knee this time, YEP a shift. I know my LCL is loose, even when i saw dr. do his lcl test he did not seem to happy about it. Well I see him again in 4 days.
Does anyone know if my LCL could get little tighter in time or that loosness is there to stay? unlees another surgery in an option.
 By the way I am an active 30 year old male weight is about 208.

Offline DaVinche14

• Regular Poster
    • My post op diary
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
6 of us now... I did it all in 2003. Torn ACL, LCL, Biceps Femoris. At the first surgery the OS repaired LCL & biceps femoris but not ACL. Since then I have done damage to lat meniscus due to surgeons reluctance to recon ACL. In 2011 (now 2 weeks post op) I had ACL + LCL recon, both hamstring autografts so it is good to read your success stories! I'm up to 90 deg rom now + 0 deg Ext. And swelling has gone down loads. Pain is still very pronounced though, but im sure that will fade. I'm initially nwb for 6 weeks then pwb for 6 weeks. Its hard to imagine at this stage, me one day been able to run again etc, but reading these posts give me hope!
My Post-op Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55672.0

Sep 2003: Major trauma to right knee; ruptured ACL, LCL, biceps femoris.
Sep 2003: LCL repair
Mar 2004: Lateral meniscus trim
Mar 2011: ACL + LCL/PLC recon w/L+R hamstring autograft

support